Stone Smoked Porter--Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Man, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this beer.....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

So, it's time to formulate a clone. I've done a bit of preliminary googleing and surprisingly have come up empty handed.

When I was at the brewery they basically told us the percentages but I can't remember now! I know it was 2row, crystal, and peat smoked malt.

Their website gives this info:

Hop Variety:
Chinook & Mt. Hood

Stats:
5.9%, 53IBUs

So I'm thinking something like:

12lb 2row (or Pale Ale Malt since I've got A LOT)
1lb C60
1lb Peat Smoked Malt

1oz Galena 60min
.75oz Hallertau 30min
.5oz Hallertau 15min

This is just a rough stab at it....what do you guys think/have any of you seen any clones for this beer?

Thanks!!!

You're gonna need something roasty in there. Peat smoked malt doesn't add much color, just a really rough, smoky flavor. Also, are you sure it's peated malt, or is it some other form of rauch malt?

No I'm sure it's peated malt...at least thats what they told us on the tour.

You're right though, I totally forgot about the chocolate malt!

The website cites peat smoked malt as the source of smoke flavor. The beer is 5.9% ABV with 53 IBUs. I think you'll need a touch of black patent or roasted barley in the mix along with the chocolate. Go easy on that peat stuff.

You missed completely for the hops!!!!(from your own notes, but your subs should be fine lol)

So it is not barrell aged? for some reason I thought it was.

I would be tempted to smoke my own grains, but that is just me!

Believe it or not, but smoked items lose their "freshness" quickly. Fresh smoked is best.

I tweaked a BYO recipe to make a smoked porter that was inspired by Stone's.

I really enjoyed the beer, here is what I pulled together for the recipe. Guess I'll have to tweak it next time to get Simcoe in there!

75 Minute boil, 5.25 gal

13.15# Maris Otter
1.4# Crystal 80l
0.75# Chocolate
.5# Peat smoked
.5# Oats flaked

1.55 oz Columbus @ 75min
0.75 oz Columbus @ 10min
1.3 oz Columbus @ 0min

Yeast: Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale

OG: 1.078
FG: 1.018

14 days in the fermenter due to the birth of my first born then straight to the keg.

Next time I think I may up the peat smoked malt and I was really pleased with the Ringwood yeast! The beer turned out nice and smoky and had a very nice hop to it great mouth feel also happened to be my 1st all grain brew.

Peat is OK how Stone uses it. The beer doesn't have the same amount of smoke flavor as some others, like Alaskan - it's mostly in the aroma. A couple ounces of peated malt will give you that character without the nasty, acrid taste that peat imparts.

IIRC, David_42's Old Bogwater used a half-pound of peated malt and needed to age two or three years before it was drinkable (although it was really good then).

Hey Ed, didn't you get some pics of their control room screens? Can't we reverse engineer the entire process from that? :p

Here you go. :D

StoneControlRoom.jpg

Sorry for reviving a dead animal here, but looking to make a smoked porter, likely with vanilla beans, might split and only add vanilla to half. Both of Stone's, with and without Vanilla, are excellent and I would love to get something relatively close.

Going by what's now on Stone's website they use Magnum & Mt. Hood, i'm guessing Magnum for the bittering and then Mt. Hood at 30 and maybe 15. They hit 53IBU's and 5.9% ABV, so the recipe on Pg 1 is almost 2% too high, I'm also wondering if anybody has some insight into it would be better to use Peated Malt or Rauchbier malt?

Latest posts

Back