Moving / Traveling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epimortum

Reaction score
We are all well aware of the current economic situation the world finds itself in. Many people moving all around the country voluntarily or otherwise.

It is possible that some of those good folks are home brewers. So, this question is for them as much as it is for me.

I myself soon may be moving and was wondering if anyone here had any experience / advice on moving brews at different stages of fermentation.

Here's what I'm mainly concerned with:

5 gallon batch of Ale that will go straight to bottle from primary on the 24th or 25th of March.
3 gallon of mead (still happily bubbling away in primary) that was started on Feb 25th or 26th can't remember exactly.

If/when I move it'll likely be sometime in April and the move will be about 1,100 miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Epi

Your best bet is to keg the mead. Even if you are not setup for kegging, this is the safest way to move your beer. I moved four kegs from California to Oregon five years ago without any problems. A year later, I moved three more (my brewing buddy had died). All of them made the trip without any troubles. Don't know about bottles, but millions of them are shipped every day.

No commercial mover will ship your brew, so you'll have to do it yourself.

I moved a 5 gal. nutbrown that was fermenting at around two weeks. We moved it about 40 miles on very bumpy roads. all i did was sit the fermenter in the passenger seat floor board and tried to go nice and easy with her. i was worried about aerating it too much but apparently no problems. It has been still the best beer I've made to date.

Back