weed wacked hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenChief

Reaction score
My F--ing neighbor's lawn service weed wacked my hop vines. I had four vines climbing up ropes near my neighbor's fence. (on my property of course) They were up to about 4-5 feet. Now the vines need to start over from the ground up. Grrrrrr

If they were on your property then how did they cut them...maybe I need a diagram.

Have you ever noticed those landscape trees with the peices of "Big-O" drainage pipe around the base of the trunk? Those are there to prevent accidents like this. If you can find any hard circular object with a hollow centre (1" or bigger PVC, old plant pots with the bottoms cut out, peanut butter jars with the bottoms cut out, etc.) and place it around the shoots when they come up it will prevent this next time.

I would call that service and complain! Maybe they will comp you some how but overall that is some messed up stuff!

Best wishes to those little guys...

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to put some fencing up around the plants. I can't see how anyone could "mistake" these plants for a weed but the moron that did it was obviously smoking some kind of weed.

My F--ing neighbor's lawn service weed wacked my hop vines. I had four vines climbing up ropes near my neighbor's fence. (on my property of course) They were up to about 4-5 feet. Now the vines need to start over from the ground up. Grrrrrr

You are entitled to be compensated for the damage to your property. I would call the company, point out that they were on your land when the were suppose to be doing the neighbors land.

Is this the first year for your hops?? If so then I would not be too upset. What you should expect now is a concentration of growth in the roots since there will be no energy put towards shoots.

If this is year 2 or 3 you still will see some growth and probably get a harvest, however this depends on the strength of their root system. This will delay your harvest but you will also get less grassy hops less Hay like.

My vote goes to politely complaining to the landscape company. If it's anything like around here, it's a rich white guy who has "ethnic" people working for him.

He'll probably toss you a couple hundo. If he's on BBB, call and threaten to complain. That can be worth thousands in business to them.

This sad story happens every year. Call it a hop growing lesson. Last year my lawn mower grabbed a shoot and pulled a whole bine off the house.

Every hop grower has a sad story welcome to the club. :(

Is this the first year for your hops?? If so then I would not be too upset. What you should expect now is a concentration of growth in the roots since there will be no energy put towards shoots.

If this is year 2 or 3 you still will see some growth and probably get a harvest, however this depends on the strength of their root system. This will delay your harvest but you will also get less grassy hops less Hay like.

Thanks again guys. Yes this was the first year for my hops. I do now have a couple more shoots that are shooting up. This was an irritating setback but I am learning from the experience. I only planted a couple of cascade rhizomes because I wasn't too sure I could grow them successfully, and didn't want too large of an investment. I built a trellis about 10' high and 30' wide with the hops planted at each end. It's all a learning experience so I have no idea what kind (if any) yield I will harvest from these plants. If things work out I will plant on a larger scale next year. BTW I bought "jumbo" rhizomes and I do think they were worth the extra $$.

He'll probably toss you a couple hundo. If he's on BBB, call and threaten to complain. That can be worth thousands in business to them.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to small business owners when people have this mentality? "Call and threaten them to get some money!" First of all, calling the BBB will do absolutely nothing. A few complaints per year improve a business' rating, because it shows that the business is operating within their range determined by the industry average complaints. Second, I know the OP may be mad, but you should not call and threaten them. The first way to tell someone is talking out their a** is when they immediately make threats. "I will call my lawyer" is the best one (really? You're going to pay a lawyer $50/hour to get the $50 you lost?) You should simply call and politely ask for fair compensation after describing the issue.

Sorry for my rant, just hate people who feel the need to immediately resort to threatening small business owners. Best wishes in your situation.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to small business owners when people have this mentality? "Call and threaten them to get some money!" First of all, calling the BBB will do absolutely nothing. A few complaints per year improve a business' rating, because it shows that the business is operating within their range determined by the industry average complaints. Second, I know the OP may be mad, but you should not call and threaten them. The first way to tell someone is talking out their a** is when they immediately make threats. "I will call my lawyer" is the best one (really? You're going to pay a lawyer $50/hour to get the $50 you lost?) You should simply call and politely ask for fair compensation after describing the issue.

Sorry for my rant, just hate people who feel the need to immediately resort to threatening small business owners. Best wishes in your situation.

Actually, I did call the landscapper and left a couple of messages. He did not return my call but I am sure he recieved the message. The only thing I really want from him is some assurance that it won't happen again. I have blocked around the bottom of my vines with some small ornate fence (it's only about 20 inches high). If it happens again I will know it was not a mistake/ accident and I will then make a big deal about it. My brother is also a landscapper so I am not unsympathetic.

How did your neighbor get them to get the weeds on your side of the fence. That's a good trick but it's also trespassing. Call the cops. Tell them someone came on your property and just cost you two pounds of hops. I'd also get the neighbor involved.

Back