cc to g measure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for something to throw away spent hops in the other day,& found my son's large protien jar. That'll work says I. Then I find the measuring scoop in it. Inside the bottom it says "National Measures "1" inside triangle,& 63 cc". So I notice my conversion charts from metric to US standard don't have a cc to gram conversion. I look up a few of them,& come to find that they claim 1cc=1g.
The reason I'm going through this is because I thought maybe the scoop might be the right size for measuring DME into an 800mL starter. It has a measuring line about 1/3" from the top.

You are taking volume measure and trying to make it work for weight. Volume of different substances could weigh vastly different.

1cc of tungsten would weigh a lot more than a cc of DME.

CC is a volume measure

gram is weight

you'd need to know the density of dme - fill up the measuring cup to a marked line and then weigh it

Yeah,it seemed a little strange to me that the measure came in a large jar of protien powder,but has a cc measurement on it. Knowwing that syringes measure liquid medicines in cc's. Guess I'll have to weigh some DME in it to see if I can measure out 80g in it. The measure for DME to water in a starter is said to be something like 10g per100mL or something like that.

may be worthwhile to invest in a kitchen scale for $20 or so - useful to measure dme as well as hops

i never trust volume measurements of dme esp once the bag has been opened and some of it clumps from moisture at times

I have a scale,but thought the little scoop might be handy for a quick measure of the right amount of DME into the heated water I measure in my erlenmeyer flask to boil it,then cool & add back to the flask with the yeast when the temp cools down.

It'll be interesting when I get my supplies ordered tomorrow morning. I'll measure it up when the stuff comes in. Probably be lucky to get 60g in the thing. I was hoping for 80g,the amount needed for 800mL of water for the starter. I just want to make it quick & easy to put together.

Back