control box material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
is there any reason that I couldn't/shouldn't make my control panel out of wood? gathering equipment now for my electric setup and thought I could further customize if I construct my own control panel box.

One issue that comes to mind is many door mounted components are designed to be mounted in several millimeter sheet metal, not something like 1/2" thk plywood.

That could be remedied with some sort of thin panel in a cutout in the door.

I wouldn't shy away from wood, its not a typical material for electrical enclosures, but really, it doesn't make it dangerous.

I think a well crafted wooden enclosure would be pretty interesting, with a proper finish it would standup well in the brewery environment. At that level, you may end up spending more time + money with wood, then just going with an off the shelf enclosure, so if your just looking to do it cheap, it might not be the best route.

Actually, way back in the day (75 yrs ago), the company I work for used to use wood as an insulating and structural support material for copper bus within power distribution system.

I wouldn't, the metal is to contain any electrical shorts/explosions. A wood case could be a fire hazard in the case of a problem. As well, a metal case is (or should be) grounded, while it is not really possible to ground a wood case. If that wood got wet (not unlikely), there is an electrocution risk as wood is a conductor when wet. You could however build a wood case to enclose the metal control box. If your handy with woodworking, I've seen some nice boxes to hide electrical boxes. Even covering the electrical box in veneer works well.

aquenne said:
One issue that comes to mind is many door mounted components are designed to be mounted in several millimeter sheet metal, not something like 1/2" thk plywood.

That could be remedied with some sort of thin panel in a cutout in the door.

I wouldn't shy away from wood, its not a typical material for electrical enclosures, but really, it doesn't make it dangerous.

I think a well crafted wooden enclosure would be pretty interesting, with a proper finish it would standup well in the brewery environment. At that level, you may end up spending more time + money with wood, then just going with an off the shelf enclosure, so if your just looking to do it cheap, it might not be the best route.

Actually, way back in the day (75 yrs ago), the company I work for used to use wood as an insulating and structural support material for copper bus within power distribution system.

Good point. Wood is an insulator when dry, and if you were able to finish it so that it could never be wet, and maybe put a fire resistant paint (you can get it at a paint store), it should be pretty safe.

its not necessarily any less safe than a metal or plastic enclosure, but if mistreated it certainly has the potential to be much more dangerous...

wood can not be grounded, eventhough it can become energized. there is also the risk of fire. it is also pretty absorbant, and water makes it conductive.

Back