8 days in primary no fermentation need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstorm

Reaction score
Brewing a choc. cherry stout. used nottingham english ale yeast 8 days later pulled the lid off the plastic fermentation bucket and nothing has happened. gravity has not changed, one spot of mold and no yeast nearby til most likely tuesday. Smells ok tastes ok just need to know if I should keep it in the plastic primary or if I should change it to the glass carboy til yeast arrives?

I'm not sure if I understood your post. Did you say you saw mold?

If that was really mold, you've got issues with sanitation. I've left batches in primary for up to 3 weeks without ever getting infections (despite blowing the stoppers a few times and cleaning beer off of the ceiling).

Is it possible you pitched the yeast while the wort was still too hot? (above 80 degrees) Or, maybe the dry yeast just wasn't good for some reason. Did you re-hydrate it? If so, was it re-hydrated with sterile water? I used to boil a cup or 2 of water when I start my brew, then let it cool. By the time I'm working on cooling my wort, I pitch the yeast in the dish of clean water and let it go to town. When the wort is under 80 degrees, I dump the yeast water-bowl on top.

Recently, I switched to a dry yeast that doesn't require activation (just dump the dry packet on top) and it still seems to work just fine.

What method were you using?

I rehydrated the yeast, but I am gonna believe that my wort may still have been to hot. The nottingham yeast I used did not have me boil the water it wanted it just warm or near room temp. Didn't know if there was any saving at this point.

What does the hydrometer sample say? Does it taste alcoholic? If it is not infected (doesn't sound like it) then it will be fine until tuesday.

hydrometer was reading at 1.062, pretty much same as when I started. has a stout taste to it still. Might even be able to get yeast tomorrow if place is open

If the OG is still the same, then there is no substantial infection. Just watch your pitching temperatures next time. And while you are at the store, pick up some dry yeast to keep in the freezer for when stuff like this happens next time.

you could buy smack packs from wyeast and just keep them in the fridge. No rehydrating required, pop the pack and let it swell then pitch. They stay good for up to a year and you could always rotate stock, and it could be one of your favorites so if the homebrew store is out you're always ready.

Do you have a local brew club or maybe a buddy that also brews that would have some spare yeast? I always have a couple spare Nottingham in the fridge you may be able to reach out and see if other brewers in your area could get you some yeast tonight.

funny you mention that chris. I have about four buddies that brew but we all started around the same time and all just learned today they we need to keep yeast in stock. haha

I blend yeast regularly, whether from circumsance( LHBS only had one pack), or because I'm trying to get characteristics from both. If you can't get the nottingham get something that compliments it. I'm not fimiliar with the nottingham sorry I don't have a suggestion.

I will definitely boil for the next one. The last yeast package never mentioned boiling but will do from now on.

I will definitely boil for the next one. The last yeast package never mentioned boiling but will do from now on.

I think the proper attitude is that ANYTHING that touches the wort post boil should be sanitized. Some don't boil top off water, etc..... Not a chance I personally want to take.

Back