2 weeks of fermenting and still no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm fairly new, this is only my 3rd batch, and I love pumpkin beer, so I made a batch for nov/thanksgiving. The problem is after about 2weeks + of being in the fermentor, I still haven't seen any bubbling or foam (I have a glass carboy as my primary) . I called my local brew shop and the guy told me to pitch some more yeast because I probably killed off the 1st batch. Tried that after the 1st week and still no luck.

What else can I try to save this batch?

Thanks

You're going to have fun flaming me for this one...

I didn't buy a brewing kit, just got a kettle and a carboy and the stuff I need for bottling. So I didn't take a gravity reading. Still not even sure what the gravity tells you.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll come back tomorrow with a gravity reading and see if any one can help from there.

Better question, should I go get a hydrometer tomorrow, measure the gravity then return for help after that?

Yes...Yes you should.

We'll know what your og was within a few points once you post your recipe...and a reading now will help us figure out what's going on...if anything :rolleyes:
Also...Flame hell I applaud your audacity! You're going to be good at this brewing thing.

The original gravity should be 1.042-1.048. I made the pumpkin beer kit from Midwest Supply, and the only changes I made was added 60oz of pumpkin (recipe called for 30) and some extra spices

I made that exact kit and added extra pumpkin and my OG was 1.050, my fermentation started about 16 hours after I pitched. I just checked it a week later and mine was down to 1.014. So if yours is in that area it's possible you have already finished fermenting.

You're going to have fun flaming me for this one...

I didn't buy a brewing kit, just got a kettle and a carboy and the stuff I need for bottling. So I didn't take a gravity reading. Still not even sure what the gravity tells you.

Gravity tells you how much sugar is in the solution. With the Original Gravity (OG) before the yeast was added and the Final Gravity (FG) you can tell what percent alcohol beer you have.

Tracking gravity readings lets you monitor how far along your fermentation is and gives you an idea of what the yeast are up to. Monitoring the airlock isn't a reliable indicator of the status of fermentation.

Did the batch produce a krausen or any foam at all?

ok, so the gravity now is 1.011, which according to Midwest supplies means it should be done fermenting. I tasted it and it tasted normal (like my other beers at this stage).

so I guess my question is, can it ferment without any krausen? There's no ring around my carboy like previous times.

ok, so the gravity now is 1.011, which according to Midwest supplies means it should be done fermenting. I tasted it and it tasted normal (like my other beers at this stage).

so I guess my question is, can it ferment without any krausen? There's no ring around my carboy like previous times.

Apparently, it can (and did!). So, when are you going to bottle it???? :ban:

If that's the case probably this weekend, by then it will have been a little over 3 weeks in the fermentor, plus then it opens it up to start on my holiday ale!

Thanks again for everyone's help

i did a batch with no krausen or foam at all and my alc. content was 12% so its possible. i let it ferment at a higher temperature than normal near 76-78 because i had no storage capabilities at that time. so dont worry.....it will likely have worked. i check the actual liquid to see if anthign is moving around if the airlock isnt bubbling..then ill take an reading to see how my levels are and if they are still changing

Back