Adjusting for different LME volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modix

Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to start my first batch not using a kit and have been looking around for recipies.

I've found a couple Pale Ale recipies that I'm interested in, but the LME will call for 6.6 gallons of LME. Most of the distributors I've seen sell LME in 6 gallon quantities, and it seems silly to buy another 3 gallons of the LME just to make up for the 0.6 gallons.

What would you do to adjust the ingredients to match? Use a DME? If so, how much pale DME would equal 0.6 pale LME?

Thanks for the help,

Modix

Some recipes call for 6.6 or 3.3 pounds of LME because some manufacturer's sell that size can. If you want, you could substitute DME to make up the difference, or even use all DME. The only difference is to use a bit less of the dry (since the liquid has water in it, you use more), usually about 75-80% of what you used use in LME. For instance, for a recipe with 6.6 pounds LME, you could use 6 pounds LME and .5 pounds DME; or 3 pounds LME and 3 pounds DME. All would give you about the same SG.

(It's pounds of extract, not gallons!)

Latest posts

Back