Kegging first time...sputtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I'm running sanitizer through my beer lines, so the only thing that I have in the keg is starsan. When I open the faucet, it pours out super fast and sputters. Is this normal and should I expect something different from the beer? I haven't started racking yet :) It looks like there's too much air in the line. The line "bounces" while it's pouring. I have a 6 ft. 3/16 beer line and a 5 ft. 1/4 gas line. The psi right now is set to 10...

I'm afraid that I'm going to get this reaction when I rack my beer over and start to use the keg....

If it's pouring to fast I'd assume you've got too much pressure in the keg. When you say sputtering I'm assuming you mean there is air coming out of the tap with the liquid. The only thing I can think off to cause this would be a crack or hole in your dip tube. Is your keg empty? Fill the keg half full of water and try a pour.

Or a leak in the beer line pulling air as it goes through. Spray all connections under pressure and do above.

Another possibility is that the dip tube is on the in post and the gas tube is on the out post and you are just sucking a bit of foam from the top.

I double checked my connections and there aren't any leaks....the dip tube is on the correct side. When I open the faucet, even with regular water, it brings out air and water at the same time like it's sputtering. I have a half keg full of water right now. The only thing that I noticed was after I had poured a little out of the faucet, I noticed that my disconnect on my beer like was bubbling from the barb. I'm assuming that's because the co2 was just pushing air through the line?

If its a ball lock maybe the o- ring in the connector isn't seated rite. Take a flat tip and undo it and check that

They look fine...I pulled the dip tube to make sure that I seated it well too... :(

The only other thing that I can think of is that I have a 3/16 beer line on a 1/4' barb with a tie around it... I had a 6' jumper with connectors on either side to connect my faucets but this was 1/4'. I had a 6' 3/16 with no connectors on it so I cut off the connectors on the 1/4 and put the barb on the 3/16 line. Maybe it's too small and the tie down (ratchet style with the single screw) is causing a problem....

Man seams like you covered almost everything. Maybe the faucet shank connect or the o-ring to the faucet.

You steered me in the right direction I think. I pulled off my beer line and cut the ends off to get it off the barb and remeasured. They're 5/16 on a 1/4' barb. I'm wondering if having the clamps on the ends was not allowing a good fit. I'm headed to HD to see if they have any line and then I'll repost tonight... Do you think that could do it?

So are you saying that even when your not pouring, there is air seeping into the liquid line?

I found my problem last night. I noticed that my o-ring was missing on the dip tube, but I don't think it came with one at all. Fortunately I had bought an o-ring replacement kit and I put one on. That fixed the issue. Thanks for all of your help!! :tank:

Latest posts

Back