Bad Beer Day! (WARNING: VENT!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just had to vent my frusrtation.

Woke up this morning, expecting my package of hops from HopsDirect to come today. In anticipation of that event, I figured I'd go ahead and make a starter today, run to the LHBS and pick up my grains, and either brew tomorrow or Sunday. I take out a vial of yeast that I had cultured myself, boil up my DME for the starter, put it in my flask, cool it to pitching temperature, open the yeast and realize... Hmm, some of these cells look darker than the rest.... I shake up the vial and open it and take a whiff. Smells kind of sour, so I take a sip. Yup, definitely sour.

My thought is that the darker yeast cells were dead cells, and their rotting corpses ruined the rest of the vial. I could live with this small set back, because it was my first time culturing yeast and I'd just pick up a vial at my LHBS and call it a lesson learned.

Then I decided to open my chest freezer/ferm chamber and look and see if I left some odd and end in there. I was assaulted by the stench of mold, and greeted by a slimy film over the one keg I had left in there. Luckily the keg was mostly empty and only contained cream soda, so I dumped the soda down the drain, not wanting to take a chance, and cleaned the keg, then cleaned the freezer with bleach and water. Turns out the freezer had come unplugged from the wall. My frustration level rose a notch.

As I was cleaning off the CO2 tank to make sure it didn't have spores growing on it, I noticed the high pressure gauge was showing it was low. I weighed it and confirmed. Tank tare weight = 7.5lbs. I measured about 7.9lbs. Now I'm pissed.

I'm going to proceed in my plan and hit the LHBS here in about 10 minutes, and hope my hops come today with no problems, and maybe go tomorrow and get my CO2 tank filled and inspect my system. The more advanced your brewing gets, the more there is to go wrong!

I did drink a Busch the other night, maybe this is my payback. I hope I have accumulated all the bad beer karma for the year so that none of you suffer from its affects!

man that sucks! I really do hope things get wayyy better for you!

heres to hope man!

bad things happen in threes.
1) soured yeast culture
2) moldy slimy ferm chamber
3) bout outa CO2

Looks like you have smoothe sailing ahead!

I think you got your bad beer karma out of the way for the day!

Either that, or the Beer Gods are pissed at you.

Nice to see you plan ahead and be able to deal with these issues prior to brewday.

Think how smooth your brewday is going to go comparatively.

Nice to see you plan ahead and be able to deal with these issues prior to brewday.

Think how smooth your brewday is going to go comparatively.

Amen to that! I have another Busch in the fridge, and a Schlitz Malt liquor in there too. Thinking about erecting some sort of beer altar and sacrificing those two objects in the hopes of a good brew day!

I got to my LHBS and opened the bucket for Maris Otter and thought **** because I needed 10.5 pounds and it looked like there was only 6 or so pounds. I went up to the guy and said "Please tell me you have more MO in the back!" Thank God they did! I ended up coming home with less grain than I wanted though, my recipe calls for .75 Crystal 55L and I got .50 so it's not horrible. My yeast starter is chugging away, so things are looking up!

You can drink the Schlitz as long as you are drinking it in reverence to the American Brewing Industry's glory days gone by.

But there is not drinking that nasty Busch!

Hey, I love Busch! I love all types: the beer, the president, the well trimmed shrub, the well trimmed...... anyway I think you get the idea!:D

Back