Star San pitting stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboJoe

Reaction score
I just looked at my stainless kettle. I was getting ready to use it again. It has a dark discoloration (pitting) at the bottom in one of the grooves around the bottom. I only use OxyClean and Star San. I'm assuming it can't be from Oxy, so it has to be from Star San. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is there anyway to reverse it? Would you still use the kettle?

I dumped it, but there is a bend in the bottom where it looks like the residue pooled into. The Star San concentration might have been a little strong, but not by that much over directions. (I make it in 1 gal batches.) I've used Star San for a while now and I've never had this happen before.

I doubt it was the StarSan. I would grab a scrubber and some barkeeper's friend.

I don't think star-san can pit SS.

I've left star-san in stainless for days before.

Is this the boil kettle? If so, why are you sanitizing it?

Listen to the Brew Strong show on Cleaning. They talk to a chemist at Five Star, who says that pure water will pit stainless easier than star san will.

Latest posts

Back