How to convert to all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helper

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Recently I made a partial mash IPA and it came out excellent! I did a brew in a bag type method for the grains used and finished the rest of the wort with DME.

I was wondering what grains I could use to replace the DME from the recipe to cut costs. Here is the recipe (for a 5 gallon batch).

Grain:
6 lb 2 row rahr
1 lb light munich

Extract (Muntons):
3 lb of Light DME
1 lb of Amber DME

***DME added 20 mins before flame out***

***I used some of the Amber DME for a yeast starter and added the rest a the 20 min left mark in the boil***

Thanks in advance everyone,
Helper

.6 lb DME = 1 lb grain.

The light is easy to replace.

The amber has some crystal in it so you may need to add some base grain and a little c60 or something like that. Look on the Muntons website and it may tell you the amkeup of the amber DME

Hello everyone!

Recently I made a partial mash IPA and it came out excellent! I did a brew in a bag type method for the grains used and finished the rest of the wort with DME.

I was wondering what grains I could use to replace the DME from the recipe to cut costs. Here is the recipe (for a 5 gallon batch).

Grain:
6 lb 2 row rahr
1 lb light munich

Extract (Muntons):
3 lb of Light DME
1 lb of Amber DME

***DME added 20 mins before flame out***

***I used some of the Amber DME for a yeast starter and added the rest a the 20 min left mark in the boil***

Thanks in advance everyone,
Helper

What was your OG?

I think you could do something like:

11# 2 row
1# munich
1# crystal 20

That should give you a color and an OG in the same ballpark as your original recipe. Interested to hear what others think.

I would consider combining the two DMEs to be 4# which would translate to 2.4# additional base malt and then add 8oz- 1lb of Crystal 60 to add the amber color in. You may need to manipulate a little more depending on your desired OG and style, assuming a Pale Ale?

I would consider combining the two DMEs to be 4# which would translate to 2.4# additional base malt and then add 8oz- 1lb of Crystal 60 to add the amber color in. You may need to manipulate a little more depending on your desired OG and style, assuming a Pale Ale?

You've got your math backwards. 4# DME would be 6.67# of grain.

I heard the Light DME had some carapils in it, I do not know if this is true or not though.

I heard the Light DME had some carapils in it, I do not know if this is true or not though.

I think Breiss does. You could sub out half a pound of the 2 row for a half pound of Carapils. The amber DME isn't contributing much color, which is why I went with Crystal 20. You could use some Crystal 60 as others suggested, but don't use a full pound if you want the color to be similar to your partial mash brew.

Back