Bubbler Marathon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibfried

Reaction score
Just Curious...

Give me your longest bubble times for your ales. For example, I just brewed up my first all-grain batch "Good Life Pale Ale" from Papazian's book. It is currently actively bubbling on it's 13 day. It wasn't a slow starter either (and not really fast one).

What's your longest bubble time? We will make this a little contest, and play by the honor system.

I'm currently at 13 days and climbing (still in the primary).

you already have me beat. my longest bubble time was about 10 or 11 days, and this was largely due to stuck fermentation that re-started after 2 days of silence.

-walker

I haven't had a beer go past 6 days or so. My longest was a cider at around 2 weeks, but I'd say that doesn't count :)

I've never had a primary go over 8 days. I dumped an Imperial IPA on the trub from a Mild and hit 1.011 in 36 hours. Had several explosions on the way. The fermentor ended up in the kitchen sink with a towel over it.

Seems like my Belgian Wit Grand Cru bubbled for about 10 days. I could be wrong, I didn't keep track.

My Strong English Ale started bubbling this morning. I'll post the results in a week or so.

2 weeks on my Grim Reaper IPA. I used WYeast London Ale and it was furious for 2 weeks straight. I had put the bucket in the kitchen off to the side, and it was a good conversation piece for the entire time. Damn thing went crazy the whole time. My normal times are usually 5-7 days, but this one had a mind of its own.

gibfried said:
I'm currently at 13 days and climbing (still in the primary).

You didn't use a starter. Did you?

I just had one that started at 1.074 take a full 8 days but I had a lot of firmentables to consume and a lot of krausen to drop out.

13 days, I'm betting that you had a low pitch rate and a slow ramp up in your first stages.

I used a Wyeast smack. It didn't start slow, but it wasn't fast either - just steady. I had a blowoff after 36 hours that lasted at least 24 hours.

I'm at a loss myself - I've never experience activity for this period of time.

I used a wyeast smack and it was steady for 8-days, compared to my other dry yeast batch which was 3 days. A stout, starting gravity was 1.050.

I had a pale ale go two weeks. The weather changed last winter in the middle of fermentation (yeah I know, I live in LA and getting below 65 is a cold winter). Slowed that thing down big time. I was still a real noob at the time and was worried about it being too long in the fermenter. I bottled it after 14 days. It ended up being too carbonated because it kept going in the bottle. Luckily, no bombs.

Back