Adding fruit to a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I am building my first ever homemade recipe. The plan is to add pureed/liquified bananas but I am not sure where I should do it...the mash or the boil.

Anyone?

TIA!

John

Depends on the recipe. Might as well just make a hefe and ferment it hot. No bananas needed, but it will sure taste like it!

I am actually going to try to make a stout that is Chocolate/Banana flavored. My tentative name is "Chocolate Covered Bananas Stout". :)

Here is the recipe for a 5.5g batch as I have it right now:

Code:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU 
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 52.8 % 
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.5 % 
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.3 % 
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.5 %
2 lbs Fruit - Pureed Banana (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 8 15.1 % 
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.9 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 % 
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 14.7 IBUs 
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 5.3 IBUs 
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 8.0 IBUs 
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 12 - 
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 - 
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 - 
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 14 -
Still very much a work in progress!

John

Fits nicely into the Sweet Stout category accoridng to Beersmith (otehr than the color):

choc.jpg

If you don't want cooked banana flavors and aroma add it to the 2ary fermenter when you transfer from 1ary. Remember to pastaurize the banana puree by heating it to 80oC for 15 minutes.

You know that chocolate malt isn't really chocolate flavored, right? I would throw some actual cocoa in if you want "chocolate and bananas" flavored, but I couldn't say how much as I've never used it myself.

I like the flaked barley if you are using it for an increased mouthfeel/milkshake type dimension, but I would use more than 8 oz. Say 1-1.5 lbs.

I also think a hefeweizen yeast might be good in addition to the banana puree. Hefeweizen yeast in stout is fascinating to me, and it seems like it would really enhance this recipe.

Don't mean to hijack your recipe with my ideas, but I really like the concept. Please post your results.

I would say, even though never using bananas before, to add it in the secondary also. Fruit has a pretty delicate flavor and adding it to the boil would probably produce a flavor not like the raw fruit. How much is biggest question.

I made a raspberry wit and added 3 lbs of frozen pureed raspberries to it and it was almost too much. Likewise I added 9 lbs of peach puree to a hefe and it was barely noticable - both in the secondary. Good luck

Latest posts

Back