Recipe Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I guess I'm just all questions today... anyway, I've been playing around with ProMash and other stuff to formulate recipes, so how does this sound for a blonde ale?:

Scrap blonde

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.29
Anticipated SRM: 4.3
Anticipated IBU: 23.2
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.51 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 6.00 lbs. Alexander LME - Pale America 1.037 2
14.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.40 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 20.7 60 min.
0.25 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 1.6 15 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 1.0 3 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Thanks!!

Looks good--I'm not really too familiar with American Blond ales, but is a pound of 10L crystal maybe too much? I'm thinking this is a summer type beer that you might want to finish a little drier (lower FG). Maybe 1/2 lb crystal instead?

omniscientomar said:
Well, could I omit the crystal all together? Would there still be enough body?

I think you want some: for body and flavor. Even American-style lager recipes usually call for 4-8 ozs of a light crystal malt.

heres the few things i noticed:
1) if you can find extra light DME use it rather than the pale LME, and consider a late extract add to avoid caramelization. it will be hard to keep this bonde ale bolnde otherwise.
2) i would either cut the crystal to 4 0z. or leave it out. crystal/caramel malts aren't typical in blonde ales although i personally do like a bit of residual sweetness in them. i actually like honey in blonde ales, i think the fermnted charcter of honey works well with the style.
3) try a mini mash, and throw in some malts with chracter, like munich, vienna, wheat, or whatever. a blonde shoud have a decent malt chracter to it with some breadiness or toastiness to it. maybe some toasted 2-row?
4) the hops look interesting, not at all what i would do, but they'll probably be good. nice and piney and earthy which is interesting and i'd like to taste one like that. almost more of the english counterpart to a american blonde, the english summer ale.

work on the grains and kkep color (SRM) in mind as you do as it won't be a blonde if it's not light.

Back