Decoction PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of doing a 1 gallon all grain batch, and am in the middle of decoction mashing. I'm making a bohemian pilsener.

My mash is extremely thin -- I'm using a brew-in-a-bag setup. I've got about 11 qts and 2.13 lbs of grain. Very thin.

I used 10 qts of distilled water and 1 qt of tap water, and based on a recent report (about 1 month old), I should have water that is very, very close to Pilsen water. I added a couple brew salts as well, though I'm not very confident in my scale's ability to measure to 0.1g (though it claims it will).

So I'm boiling my first decoction to jump to protein rest, and i've taken a sample PH. The results are concerning -- I'm below the scale, the minimum of which was 4.6. My understanding is that the first rest (which I did at about 105) is the acid rest and is meant to lower PH -- but this is extremely low.

Can someone help clear this up for me and offer any quick suggestions, should i need them?

Back