It's really pretty amazing how consistent one can be...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I've only been doing AG for about 7 months, but I'm consistently amazed at how well things work: the calculated strike water volume and temp seems to always work out just right, my efficiency never varies more than a few gravioty points above or below the anticipated OG, and so on.

The one thing I haven't exactly dialed in yet is grain absorbtion: some batches I seem to get a good bit less wort that I expected to. Since I batch sparge, it's not a big deal--the gravity comes out the same either way, but I may have to boil a little less vigorously or add a little top-off water.

About the only consistent source of stress is that sometimes the whole hops in the keggle have a tendancy to clog my SS braid on the dip tube, and then I have to hassle with dumping and straingin wort into the fermenter. That sucks.

cweston said:
I've only been doing AG for about 7 months, but I'm consistently amazed at how well things work: the calculated strike water volume and temp seems to always work out just right, my efficiency never varies more than a few gravioty points above or below the anticipated OG, and so on.

QUOTE]
prick...:D

Consistency is the big step. The guy I started brewing with never got that part down, as he always wanted to try something different. I find your problem with whole hops amusing, as I have far more trouble with pellets clogging my bazooka. I still have my big colander around from my early days, so even that's no big deal.

david_42 said:
I find your problem with whole hops amusing, as I have far more trouble with pellets clogging my bazooka. I still have my big colander around from my early days, so even that's no big deal.

I always use a bag for pellets. I have a couple very course mesh bags that are great for whole hops, but not enough of them for a brew with multiple additions. (plus they're kindof a PITA)

cweston said:

You and I must be on different planets. Hows the weather?

Latest posts

Back