Bottle it or Burn it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi

Got a Dry Stout that I was going to bottle this Sunday. It will be 2 weeks in the Secondary as of then.

Problem is white film has built itself up on the top layer of the beer.

Do I just chuck it, or should I proceed anyway? Any thoughts on what the heck it is? I haven't had this problem in a long time and I'm very careful in my sanitzing.

Thanks
J

It's probably just the yeast re-activating after being stirred up during racking. Take a sample - if it tastes and smells OK go ahead and bottle it. Definitely don't just dump it though!

dump it down my throat maybe! ^^ what he said. I had a very aggressive IPA do this to me just recently. I racked it after ten days in the primary and it all of a sudden started fermenting again. if it tastes good drink it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=37157 Does your white film look like the beginnings of what this fellow is describing? I have had this happen to me, and the beer is thus far fine. I siphoned best I could underneath the white (mine was not as developed as his) into a cornie and threw some pressure in it. I think mine may have been do to not properly disassembling my wine thief for cleaning and then using it for gravity readings.

Interesting. If it makes you feel better, I just found a slight white film on the top in my secondary that was bulk aging. I did have to move the carboy a couple of days ago. I wonder if the fermentation restarted. It had previously fully completed fermentation.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I racked to my bottling bucket, sampled, and it was pretty darn good. Got the roasty flavoured I wanted with hint more sweeter then expected.

I proceeded with bottling and looking forward to it in a few weeks.

Cheers,
J

Back