poor head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
Im on my 5th all grain batch and the beers taste great. My dilemna is the quality of the head on all of them. Ive basically been fermenting at about 68 degrees for 2 weeks and then racking to a Corney keg. I leave it there for a week and then begin forcing Co2 thru a carbonation stone. The beer at this point is still about 65 degrees, (Since Im in the process of getting a refrigerator) so I have to add quite a bit of Co2 to achieve decent carbonation. I think this is the problem with the head as well but not sure.. Ideas??

I don't think force carbonating would effect head retention all that much. I would think the head retention issue would be a result more related to your brewing process. You can enhance body and head retention by adding some grains that add protein or dextrines. A higher mash temperature helps as well. Here is a more complete explanation:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3632833/Enhancing-Beer-Head-Retention-for-Home-Brewers

BTW, why do you use a stone for carbonation? I carb kegs just by applying between 10 and 15 PSI for a week while cold. Or if I am in a hurry to drink, 30 PSI and shake the keg vigorously for a minute or two, again while cold.

Did you start out doing all grain or did you do extract or pm beforehand? If so, how was the head retention with those?

hmmm... the stone may be part of the problem. If you're causing any foaming during the carb process using the stone, then you're 'using up' some of your head forming proteins during that process. I don't use a stone, I simply pressurize and leave it.

Do you use any pro-head forming ingredients in your recipes? As stated, Crystals, Caras and Wheats will help.

hmmm... the stone may be part of the problem. If you're causing any foaming during the carb process using the stone, then you're 'using up' some of your head forming proteins during that process. I don't use a stone, I simply pressurize and leave it.

Do you use any pro-head forming ingredients in your recipes? As stated, Crystals, Caras and Wheats will help.

Ha ha, pretty good. Missed that completly about him being all grain. :eek:
But yes I agree with what you posted.

I have been using the stone because it carbonates quickly and doesnt require shaking. I have done the shaking method on the first two batches and have poor head on those as well. 2 of the recipes had crystal in them and yes those are a little better, but not what I see in my local breweries as far as head is concerned , I wanna see "lace".. Ive been brewing for many years, but stopped on 1997 till about 2 mos ago when I rebuilt it all and started over.. Havent done an extract batch in 20 years.

I have been using the stone because it carbonates quickly and doesnt require shaking. I have done the shaking method on the first two batches and have poor head on those as well. 2 of the recipes had crystal in them and yes those are a little better, but not what I see in my local breweries as far as head is concerned , I wanna see "lace".. Ive been brewing for many years, but stopped on 1997 till about 2 mos ago when I rebuilt it all and started over.. Havent done an extract batch in 20 years.

k, next thing, give an example of your recipe then... How about, do you have enough pressure behind the dispense to cause some foaming?

Beer head relates to the amount of protien left in the beer as part of the body after fermentation along with carbonation and the galss you pour it in. For example is your glass free from oils from dishwashing suds etc.
Better body usually gives better head.. did I just say that. Probably not true.

Beer head relates to the amount of protien left in the beer as part of the body after fermentation along with carbonation and the galss you pour it in. For example is your glass free from oils from dishwashing suds etc.

We still talking about beer?

last IPA I made was 10 gallon Batch
24 lbs Pale 2 row
3 lbs Crystal (20L) (in the mash)
154` Mash 60 min
60min 4oz Magnum
10min 4oz Cascade
1min 4 oz Cascade
Dry Hopped in Secondary 2 oz Amarillo Gold
1 week in Primary at 67`
1 Week in Secondary at 67`
Force Carb in Corney Kegs at 67`
Bottled and refrigerated

hmmm, certainly enough crystal for good head... Guessing your carb stone. Try another without it and see if it improves. Don't change the recipe though.

i'll try that, I was also thinking of maybe doing one keg with corn sugar to Naturally carb it?

any chance this could be from me using a picnic tap on my kegs right now? (getting perlicks in a few weeks)

Finally!! The Head is good!! I simply did not wait long enough or let the kegs condition long enough in the cold fridge. What I thought was good carbonation simply wasn't, is was about 1 volume. Flat and no head. Now all three kegs are fantastic. Thanxx for all the help! I love this place

LOL... no problem. Next time we can do less and get such great results, let us know! Just goes to show, patience usually solves all our brewing issues.

I have heard some traffic that using rinse aid in the dishwasher ( like jet dry) when cleaning the glasses kills the head. Have you tried hand rinsing the glass prior to pouring?

My Beer glasses are hand washed and dried and for samples I use new plastic cups. I read that too

Avoiding the gutter, then I think this is correct. Dextrins, and proteins play a very large role in providing body, and proteins in particular are very import in head formation and maintenance.

Not avoiding the gutter, I would suspect a poorer body to give better head, to compensate for the lack of good body.

Back