Cl/SO4 implications?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhorse

Reaction score
'A malty beer benefits from a higher Cl:SO4 ratio whereas a hoppy beer is accentuated with a lower Cl:SO4 ratio'

(forgive me who I stole this above from I lost the link).

What is the benefit gained in flavour/bitterness terms from high Cl:SO4 for a malty beer and conversely what is the benifit of low Cl:SO4 for hoppy beer? for example if one were to reverse the ratio on a given style what would the expected result be?

My understanding is that a higher chloride to sulfate ratio will round out your beer which could have a bit of a dulling effect on hops.

On the other side, having a high sulfate to chloride ratio could make a beer that should be rounder and softer, appear more sharp,

Do you thing the cl/S ratio effects FG? or is the roundness of high Cl/S beer a consequence of a less sharp hopp taste. ie: would a lower bittering hop rate acheive with high s/cl ratio the same as high cl/s with more agressive bittering?

Back