Micromatic regulators with check valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting my kegging system set up, and i was considering buying a Micromatic dual-gauge regulator with a wye (this model: Beer Regulator - Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - 1 Pressure - 2 Kegs). It looks like this doesn't have check valves at the shutoffs, though. Does anybody here know of a place that would sell this regulator setup with check valves without too much of a markup?

In lieu of that, can any of you recommend a comparable model regulator I should be looking at?

Thanks for the assistance.

I guess I'm unclear as to what a check valve is. It stops gas from coming out though, even under high pressure.

A check valve will keep beer from making it back into the regulator - essentially, it's a one-way valve that just lets air out of the regulator, and nothing the other way.

Hopefully the Taprite model isn't too shabby, because that's what I just picked up from kegconnection. Hopefully it'll be here early next week!

You should like that one... They had great prices too, on related items at Keg Connection.. CO2 wrench $2.95... Pin Lock valve adapter (paintball tank) $12.95...

I think you'll be happy with that model. And there are rebuild kits readily available for Tap Rite's should you need them in the distant future.

Cheers...hope it gets there soon!

You can buy a check/shutoff valve to replace the one on the regulator...or a less expensive approach is:

Got to this website:

BEC_Brass_Fittings

And look at Part #

If you use pinlock/ball gas connectors with the 1/4 MFL instead of the barb. You insert this part between your gas line and the connector. This places the check valve down by the connector. If you look at Sankey Couplers...they have a rubber check valve..and it's located in the coupler where the gas line attaches.

Just another option.

The shutoffs on your first pic look exactly like the one on my micromatic single. I thought it was a check valve. Maybe I should go check...

B

The shutoffs on your first pic look exactly like the one on my micromatic single. I thought it was a check valve. Maybe I should go check...

B

I've got the same ones on my Micromatic Nitrogen Regulator...if you go to the replacement parts...and link to the Shutoff valve...there is no mention of it having a check valve inside. I've never taken mine off to look. Check valves have a little spring that holds a ball against the barb end of the valve. Like was said...it's only there to prevent the contents of your keg from backing up into your regulator....most likely in the case of the keg tipping over or running out of gas in your CO2/N2 tank -- with the added benefit of keeping your beer from going flat should your tank run empty. I've had plenty of setups that don't even have the check valve and it's not been a problem.

You could probably take a pipe cleaner and insert it in the end of the barb with the valve opened (of course make sure you don't have the regulator connected to anything)...if the pipe cleaner hits something before the valve knob...it's probably that little ball valve. If it's free to go past the valve knob...then you certainly don't have a check valve in there.

IF you have a tube attached to the short diptube in your keg...going to a airstone in the bottom of the tank for carbonating/nitrogenating...THEN you'd better have the check valve b/c you could easily get a back flow of liquid if the pressure were to raise in the keg (temp, secondary fermentation, etc..) Otherwise, liquid more than likely won't be backing up anyway, ...except if you were to cause foaming in the tank by jostling it around, getting it warm, infections, releasing the pressure rapidly, etc.... or tipping the tank on it's side. I just make sure I disconnect the gas connector before I store a keg in a cooler on it's side for transport.

If you do allow stuff to back up in your gas line...it will probably get infected at some point and taint every other keg you connect it to, until you get it cleaned out and disinfected.

If you buy a used Sankey coupler...you might check to see if the rubber check vavle is inside the coupler. It may have been used to daisy chain kegs...in which case they remove the check valve from every coupler except for the one that's actually connected to the gas supply. This way they can run 2 or more kegs to a single tap without having to stop the party to tap another keg.

High Volume Draught Beer Systems Using Series Keg - Facts and Techniques

I'm not worried about the beer getting into my reg. Right now I have it so the output of the Micromatic reg feeds my secondary regs, which all have check valves on the beer connections.

I thought the valve would be a check on this nice of a reg. Hmm. I'll have to check the next time I'm doing routine cleaning if it's a check or not.

Thanks for the link, it's a great idea for commercial, but I only have room for three kegs of homebrew in my keezer. HMMMMM. Maybe a kolsch-apa-bluemoon mix. Ok, maybe not...

B

Back