Should I condition bottles in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
I have a Belgian dub. in bottles that have been conditioning for a week. The temps are starting to get higher and my room temp gets up in the high 70's. I'm contemplating throwing them in the fridge after another week or two so they won't be at such a high temp. I know they will take longer to condition in the fridge but thats probably better than sitting in 70's possibly 80 degree for the next few months. What do you guys think?

I concur, keep them warm for a bit and then into the fridge. Ideally you should have them around the 50's. Too cold and it really arrests the aging process.

Well, I think my fridge is closer to the 40's. I wonder how long they will take to condition in the fridge. It was in secondary for a month but still tasted green at botteling.

IIRC most of the breweries profiled in Brew Like A Monk bottle condition in the low 70s when temps were listed.

Mr. Wizard approached this question too:
This is why bottle-conditioned beers are typically stored in warm cellars controlled to a comfortable temperature of about 75 ºF (22 ºC). This is plenty warm for the yeasties to do their work in a reasonable time frame and is not so warm that the beer starts to prematurely age because of high storage temperature. This practice is relatively common in Europe and the United States among brewers who bottle-condition their beers. Duvel in Belgium, Sierra Nevada in California and New Belgium in Colorado are three breweries I know who have warm cellars. I know that at Sierra Nevada beer is held for about a week before being released for sale.

So in the commercial world of brewing where time is money, warm conditioning reduces the number of cases that are sitting around waiting for carbonation to happen. Bean counters like to minimize this type of inventory and warm conditioning helps control inventory and the conditioning process. At home the economic drivers of inventory control are different, but why wait 2 weeks to sample your next tasty brew when you can cut down the time to 1 week? There is no reason whatsoever not to practice this method . . . I declare open season on “turbo-conditioning!”
http://byo.com/mrwizard/1559.html

Well, I think my fridge is closer to the 40's. I wonder how long they will take to condition in the fridge. It was in secondary for a month but still tasted green at botteling.

If you go that low the yeasties will go to sleep...so they wont be doing the job of conditioning your beer...

Read this about bottle conditioning...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Let the bottles run their course at room temp. If you are concerned about maintaining a consistant 70 degrees, get a rubbermade tub, fill it partially with water, slap an aquarium thermometer inside it, either a floating one or one on a suction cup. Put the bottles in there and freeze some small water bottles...add them or tap water as necessary to maintain the 70 degrees for 2 more weeks.

I personally wouldn't go that far and just leave leave them in the dark for the 3 weeks before chilling them.

Sounds good, I think after 3 weeks I'll throw half in the fridge and the rest in the closet. maybe a month or so later throw half of the ones in the closet in the fridge and leave the rest to age at room temp. I was thinking about the water bath idea too. I really need a beer fridge with an external thermostat. Or a new house with a basement:)

Back