Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 days grain to glass!! Thats a fresh ale!! Pröst!!

anything at about 1.050 or so for me is done in about that time :)

I wanted to brew this yesterday but my ID10t's at work hosed a database at 6 AM so I had to go to work :( so I brewed it today

did it with 1 oz Hallertau and 1 oz or Willamette

doing the same tomorrow so I can rebuild my stock of top cropped 05

all the best

S_M

Just curious if anyone following this thread has tried Nottingham yeast and a very cool fermentation (60-62F)? I'm thinking it might give an even cleaner and crisper finish to the beer.

Just curious if anyone following this thread has tried Nottingham yeast and a very cool fermentation (60-62F)? I'm thinking it might give an even cleaner and crisper finish to the beer.

I've done it with Nottingham, but fermented at 18°c (64.4f). Worked fine, but a bit fruity, not sure if that's the yeast or just my brew. For what it's worth, the fruity flavours mellow out with age. I'm going to try an identical batch with Safale US-05 to compare.

I've done it with Nottingham, but fermented at 18°c (64.4f). Worked fine, but a bit fruity, not sure if that's the yeast or just my brew. For what it's worth, the fruity flavours mellow out with age. I'm going to try an identical batch with Safale US-05 to compare.

Thanks for the feedback. I think maybe the 64 was a bit warm for Notty as it really prefers cooler temps. Have heard others report good success with this yeast in the high 50's...almost lager temps. I might try it on a batch to see how it goes. FWIW, I have a batch going right now with S-05 at 66F and expect it to be wonderful (as usual with this recipe).

Cheers!

I brewed a batch this past weekend. Under shoot my mash temp by a degree and over shot my OG by a considerable amount (1.052). My post boil volume was a little low, about a quart maybe, but not enough to account for the OG overshoot. Maybe I need to adjust my efficiency numbers?? ;)

Anyway, I've never used rice hulls when I batch sparge. But if/when I brew this again, I'll definitely use a good scoop. I had the mash suck down tight to the false bottom and stopped the flow 3 times. And I had my flow throttled waaayyy down. It wasn't a huge deal. Broke of the mash up with my mash paddle, let it settle back down and continued. But would prefer to have a single continuous sparge....

Looking forward to the taste test in 2 or 3 weeks

:mug:

Has anyone tried increasing the ABV? If so, what was your method and did it affect the overall beer?

I brew this recipe 11.5 gallons at a time I cannot believe how fast it gets drank, out of the last 70 batches I have brewed I have brewed this recipe 16 times

I need to start doing 23 gallon batches of this

all the best

S_M

I brew this recipe 11.5 gallons at a time I cannot believe how fast it gets drank, out of the last 70 batches I have brewed I have brewed this recipe 16 times

I need to start doing 23 gallon batches of this

all the best

S_M

I did 5.5 gal, stuck pretty close to the recipe and barely made it 3 weeks in the keg. Well, that's kind of par for the course, but still... the most "you actually made this?" comments came from this stupid simple brew. Haha.

Fermented w/Notty @ 61° for 10 days, led to a super clean/crisp taste, finished @ 1.009 down from 1.051.

attachment.php

Doing a 10 gal batch of this real soon... would go 15, but won't have enough kegs freed up.

Has anyone tried increasing the ABV? If so, what was your method and did it affect the overall beer?

I have not tried to up the ABV because it is a nice easy drinker for me

but I sure you could up it by raising the base malt and I would also up the corn/rice to keep the percentages the same

which should keep it about the same

if you plug the numbers into brewing software and look a style guide

you could keep it a cream ale

all the best

S_M

I did 5.5 gal, stuck pretty close to the recipe and barely made it 3 weeks in the keg. Well, that's kind of par for the course, but still... the most "you actually made this?" comments came from this stupid simple brew. Haha.

Fermented w/Notty @ 61° for 10 days, led to a super clean/crisp taste, finished @ 1.009 down from 1.051.

attachment.php

Doing a 10 gal batch of this real soon... would go 15, but won't have enough kegs freed up.

I have used all Vienna as the base malt, part 2 row and Vienna

I have brewed this with cornmeal/minute rice, flaked corn/rice

different hop combos, I love this recipe so easy to brew and change always a great drinking brew

for me it is 9 - 10 days grain glass

I have only used 05 on but I use 05 on everything

all the best

S_M

I have used all Vienna as the base malt, part 2 row and Vienna

I have brewed this with cornmeal/minute rice, flaked corn/rice

different hop combos, I love this recipe so easy to brew and change always a great drinking brew

for me it is 9 - 10 days grain glass

I have only used 05 on but I use 05 on everything

all the best

S_M

Yeah... I'm the same way with Notty, use it for almost everything. I just adjust the ferment temp for style. I'm fermenting a mild on the higher side (~67°) to coax out some more esters.

Also, taking a tip from a BM thread in 2007 (of course he's done everything first)... skunk some of these up after cold conditioning for a couple weeks. Boom. Corona clone-ish, lol.

attachment.php

It turned out great. Like a light BMC... very close to a lager in crispness.

Fermented @ 61°.

I will give it a try for sure I have 11.5 gallons of C3C that I'll start cold crashing tomorrow and a Mild

so I may brew a batch of this with Nottingham next week and one of this recipe but sub out 2 pounds of 2 row

with 2 pounds of dark Munich for change but use 05 for the yeast

all the best

S_M

Thanks for that info. I love to keep this on my first tap and have a couple of packs of Notty that I need to get used up. Did you stick with the original hop schedule and grain bill?

For the most part... 6 lbs 2row, 2lbs flaked corn, 1 lb flaked rice. Next time I'll swap the corn and rice weights, wanted it just a tad drier.

I used Willamette only. Turned out well.

For the most part... 6 lbs 2row, 2lbs flaked corn, 1 lb flaked rice. Next time I'll swap the corn and rice weights, wanted it just a tad drier.

I used Willamette only. Turned out well.

if you want it a bit dryer i would suggest cutting back on the corn a little bit and adding table sugar.

First time brewing this recipe and I have no experience with rice & corn mash ingredients.

Two weeks in the fermenter today so opened it up for a gravity reading and found this...

possible infection.jpg

Is this normal for this recipe or do I have my first infection??

The gravity sample tasted fine. It's in the frig cold crashing as we speak but would like to know if this looks like some sort of surface infection.

Thoughts??

I brewed this up again today. I used 6lbs of 2 row, 2lbs flaked maize, and 1lb of minute rice. Not sure I let my cooler tun warmup enough and I lost a few degrees during the mash. OG was 1.048. Little higher than I'd intended. My efficiencies have been trending upward lately so I'll need to adjust the grain bill a bit more. Went with the dry US-05 yeast. First time trying a dry yeast so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

First time brewing this recipe and I have no experience with rice & corn mash ingredients.

Two weeks in the fermenter today so opened it up for a gravity reading and found this...

View attachment 296843

Is this normal for this recipe or do I have my first infection??

The gravity sample tasted fine. It's in the frig cold crashing as we speak but would like to know if this looks like some sort of surface infection.

Thoughts??

Bottled some this past week that looked similar. Usually once primary settles down. I give my fermenter a shake every other day to help them settle until I am ready to bottle.

Just starting to drink bottles from my batch that I did a no sparge on. Its remarkably light and crisp like a commercial beer but deeper or more distinctive flavor. Really like the result.

Brewed this one on 8/1/15 and bottled on 8/17. Gave it a taste test today (I couldn't wait at least two weeks). Very nice and it will only get better. I pretty much stuck to the original recipe, except I used 1 oz of Saaz. Brewed a 5 gallon batch. I will be brewing this one again and very soon. Looking forward to some college football (Go Hogs), chicken wings and Cream of Three Crops

Around here this beer goes flame to glass in just over two weeks. Just drew my first pints from my 7th batch. It's a hard beer to keep around when it's hot and dry...the keg keeps getting empty faster than I can make it. It may be the reason I upgrade from a 5 gallon system.

Hats off to Biermuncher! Great recipe!

Around here this beer goes flame to glass in just over two weeks. Just drew my first pints from my 7th batch. It's a hard beer to keep around when it's hot and dry...the keg keeps getting empty faster than I can make it. It may be the reason I upgrade from a 5 gallon system.

Hats off to Biermuncher! Great recipe!

that is it for sure I should have brewed a week or so ago :( I did not and will run out

Thinking I'm gonna run an 11 gal batch of this but have seen a few things crop up (pun intended) in the 40 or so pages I read.

1) a lot of people seem to think it's too corny? So I'm thinking I'll go 3lbs flaked maize and 2 lbs flaked rice. First time using corn and rice. Since its flaked maize and flaked rice do I grind it with my malt, just add it into the mash unground, or put it on top of the mash?

2) I see a lot of people mentioning rice hulls and stuck sparges. I have never had a stuck sparge but I do have rice hulls- should I use them and if so how much?

12# 2row
3# flaked maize
2# flaked rice
6oz acid malt (2% of grist- for mash PH using amended RO water)
2 cups rice hulls??

1oz tettnanger 5% FWH
1oz Hersbrucker 2.8% 60 min
.5 oz Hersbrucker 2.8% 10 min

Sound about right?

Thinking I'm gonna run an 11 gal batch of this but have seen a few things crop up (pun intended) in the 40 or so pages I read.

1) a lot of people seem to think it's too corny? So I'm thinking I'll go 3lbs flaked maize and 2 lbs flaked rice. First time using corn and rice. Since its flaked maize and flaked rice do I grind it with my malt, just add it into the mash unground, or put it on top of the mash?

2) I see a lot of people mentioning rice hulls and stuck sparges. I have never had a stuck sparge but I do have rice hulls- should I use them and if so how much?

12# 2row
3# flaked maize
2# flaked rice
6oz acid malt (2% of grist- for mash PH using amended RO water)
2 cups rice hulls??

1oz tettnanger 5% FWH
1oz Hersbrucker 2.8% 60 min
.5 oz Hersbrucker 2.8% 10 min

Sound about right?

I would not mill the flaked grains with the rest of the grain bill for this recipe. I add the flaked grains after I have already milled the barley in order to prevent having a stuck sparge. I generous had full of rice hulls per 5 gallons has been plenty for me to use to avoid stuck sparges.

Back