Hello from Chicago...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redearthcognac

Reaction score
So, my first efforts with Mr. Beer were thought to be disastrous, but I decided to trust the process and went ahead and bottled it today. It seemed like it wasn't doing anything, and without an airlock, I had no way of "looking under the hood". I did let the fermentation go for about 3 weeks, and decided to taste it the other day. To my surprise, it didn't taste sweet any more, and seemed to fizz slightly in the glass. This indicates to me that it may have actually fermented! I added my priming sugar, bottled it all up and I am now waiting to see if the bottle conditioning will work. The kit was given to me by a coworker and I'm unclear how old it was, but it was dry yeast which seems to keep well for extended periods. It's bottled, so I'll update this post with the results in a couple weeks.

I live very close to Two Brothers Brewery (one of the best brewery's in the midwest) and found out they have a Home Brew store somewhat a part of their operations. I am very anxious to pickup a "real" homebrew setup with glass carboys and the whole nine.

I am looking for advice as I would like to brew something a little more advanced and really have my eyes set on creating a "Mocha" Stout...an undertaking which appears to have been explored by many here. I'm rather shocked I haven't found one on the market. I've had coffee, I've had chocolate, why not a Mocha Stout? Seems like there would be a big market for it. Maybe you know of one I might be able to get a hold of?

I'm curious how I might go about that using extracts...any thoughts?

I live very close to Two Brothers Brewery (one of the best brewery's in the midwest) and found out they have a Home Brew store somewhat a part of their operations. I am very anxious to pickup a "real" homebrew setup with glass carboys and the whole nine.

I live very close to 2 Bros too. But I shop at The Homebrew Shop in St. Charles. The supply shop at 2 Bros just isnt their priority and doesnt stock much.

Welcome to homebrewing, btw!

Welcome to the obsession man!

May I suggest getting better bottles. I haven't ever had a glass carboy but I have dropped my better bottle and had to move them from one house to another. I don't know that a glass one would have survived....

There's a brewery in Warrenville? Whodathunkit? :) I grew up in Villa Park, and my family is still scattered around the western suburbs. I'll have to check it out next time I'm home for a visit.

Welcome! This forum has taught me a LOT in the past month I've been here.

Welcome! I actually picked up my gear originally from the Home Brew Shop in St. Charles, although I've done my shopping since then at the Grow and Brew in Roselle since it's on my way home (Elgin) from work (Schaumburg). I've also heard the same mutterings about the Two Brother's shop, that it really isn't worth the time to visit, but I might swing by anyways just to see the brewery itself.

As for your Mocha Stout, actually I'm thinking of trying something similar: ChshreCat's Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout but with espresso added to the secondary. (Still debating whether to add in the grind itself or go ahead and throw several shots in, since we have an espresso machine and I can produce them at will.) His recipe is a partial mash, though, so I have to wait until I get inspired enough to hack together a MLT. ;)

Welcome!

Just picked up my grains and supplies at Homebrew Shop in St. Charles...they are always friendly and very helpful! I teach in STC so it is very close for me to get to and shop.

Welcome to the obsession and another great review on the home brew shop...they are awesome there and they know there stuff

Welcome from Addison. Two Brothers is awesome. Their food is excellent too. I shop at Brew and Grow in Rozelle. Nice little store. I have been to The Hombres Shop in St. Charles. It's a cool little downtown corner shop. They were friendly and helpful, but I felt a little expensive. The brew store at Two Brothers did not have much.
I have glass carboys and Better Bottles. I find myself using the Better Bottles more than the glass. They are lighter, and no concerns about dropping hem in the garage.
Get a big enough brew kettle to do full boils. I improved my beer right away.
Good luck.

Welcome from Addison. Two Brothers is awesome. Their food is excellent too. I shop at Brew and Grow in Rozelle. Nice little store. I have been to The Hombres Shop in St. Charles. It's a cool little downtown corner shop. They were friendly and helpful, but I felt a little expensive. The brew store at Two Brothers did not have much.
I have glass carboys and Better Bottles. I find myself using the Better Bottles more than the glass. They are lighter, and no concerns about dropping hem in the garage.
Get a big enough brew kettle to do full boils. I improved my beer right away.
Good luck.

Back