No easy/cheap way to wire a 220V element??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So is there no cheap and easy way to control the % heat coming from a 5500w heater element. Seems like there should be a way to make a dial control or something but I guess the amperage of the elements may force you into going the SSR/PID approach. I want to do a really basic setup but will at least need some amount of manual control over the heat.

You could get an aquastat and use it to control a contactor, and run your 220v element off of the contactor. Assuming the aquastat has the temp range you are looking for, of course.

Easiest and cheapest, but not the best is just to use one or two elements sized appropriately for the batch size. Both switched on 100% to reach boil, and then cut one element. Two elements at 2000w 120v will do five gallons easily. For ten gal. I would guess a 2000w and 4500w or 3500w for boil. Not really sure, but I would think others brew electric just running elements at 100%.

What size batches are you looking to do?

I'm hoping to do 10g batches, currently doing 5g batches on the stove. I also have NG already plumbed to a QD fitting next to my garage but not sure if a Hurricane burner will be the answer or not. Worst case, I will use a Hurricane and supplement with a 110v heat stick.

Search the diy section. There is a cheaper dial way.

Ssr and pwm circuit. Should cost about $25 maybe more if you have to buy completed pwm.

Back