WLP-023 Burton Ale Yeast vs. S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
In case anyone ever wonders...

They're two very different yeast strains. I brewed a batch of my Redden Bitter with S-04 (normally WLP-023). Totally different flavor profile. It's still good, just different. I expected some difference, but not that dramatic. They taste like two completely different beers. I prefer the WLP-023. It has a more refined profile, more subtle esters and more complex... the kind of beer you don't want to swallow for savoring the flavor. Looks like I'm back to using liquid yeast.:mad:

Not at all surprised, the Burton Ale yeast is on the fruity side. S-04 is much closer to WLP-002.

YEAST STRAIN: 1099 | Whitbread Ale
A mildly malty and slightly fruity fermentation profile; not as tart and dry as 1098 and much more flocculent. Clears well without filtration. Low fermentation temperatures will produce a clean finish with a very low ester profile.

Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%

----------

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
From the famous brewing town of Burton upon Trent, England, this yeast is packed with character. It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear. Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts.
Attenuation: 69-75%
Flocculation: Medium

Going off those two descriptions, 1099 sounds just like S04. But I am with ya, Burton's ester and flavor profile is wicked.

I love british ales and they make up most of the beers I make. I do end up using s-04 for most of them though for cost and convenience reasons. I think I'm missing out on a lot of the more complex esters by going this route though. I'm going to think about doing a simple bitter in 10 gal batches and fermenting each half with a different yeast in order to compare them. Or I could do 12 gallons and split it 4 ways into 3 gal fermentors. Maybe try out s-04, burton ale, ringwood, and something else (wyeast 1028, 1098, 1275, 1318, 1335 or 1968?).

I love british ales and they make up most of the beers I make. I do end up using s-04 for most of them though for cost and convenience reasons. I think I'm missing out on a lot of the more complex esters by going this route though. I'm going to think about doing a simple bitter in 10 gal batches and fermenting each half with a different yeast in order to compare them. Or I could do 12 gallons and split it 4 ways into 3 gal fermentors. Maybe try out s-04, burton ale, ringwood, and something else (wyeast 1028, 1098, 1275, 1318, 1335 or 1968?).

I just finished up an ordinary bitter fermented with the ringwood strain, it was TASTY, although I still like the burton ale yeast a bit more, I like my english beers good and estery.

Latest posts

Back