few Q's about yeast and yeast starters.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrixsrv630

Reaction score
Im new to the whole homebrewing and trying to learn as much as I can. when i do something i like to do it the right way.

i have heard/read that using a yeast starter is better then using dry yeast packets. i have read up on how to do it and watched videos on youtube about it but still have a few questions. can i make a starter with the stuff left at the bottom of the fermenter after the beer is done fermenting? also if i am able to use that yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter, would i only be able to use that starter in a beer that calls for that same type of yeast.

another question i have is both of my kits i have brewed from had me dump the dry yeast on top of the wort and then ferment. can i make a starter from the dry yeast?

last question is...when using a starter how do you know how much to put in the wort. i have heard there is a specific amount you should be using for each type of beer.

Yes you can use the yeast left over at the bottom of your carboy/bucket. There is a sticky on yeast washing at the top of this section.

Yes you would only use that yeast in a beer that calls for the same yeast.

No you should not make a starter with dry yeast. From what I've read the manufacturers put a lot of nutrients into those dry yeast packs. You should also not just dump the dry yeast into your wort, you should dissolve it in sanitized water first.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html will tell you how big your starter needs to be. It even has a tab for repitching from a yeast slurry.

Hope that helps a bit

1) That stuff at the bottom is yeast, the same strain you fermented with in that batch. If you want to reuse it you can pitch onto it (which is often times over pitching), or wash it. Instructions for washing can be found in a number of places.

2) You can make a starter from dry yeast, but it is in quantities great enough to inoculate a five gallon batch from just one packet. Typically rehydration is all you need with it. This is all stuff I have read, I have never personally used dry yeast (im a sucker for those smack packs and viles).

3) Starter gravity should be 1.040, and the volume depends on the gravity of your batch but I just go with a 1L starter for pretty much everything. Start it a few days before brew day, let it ferment the starter wort, stick it in the fridge for a day to let the yeast flocculate, then decant most of the liquid and pitch.

Back