Pacman yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Does anyone use Pacman for anything other than Dead Guy? Anyone know the actual specific characteristics of this yeast? I have an extra pack that I was going to make starters with and store in the fridge. Just wondered what the results would be with recipes other than Dead Guy. Only thing I know about it, is that it likes 60-64 degree fermentation and that the target gravity for the Dead Guy was 1.066. I calculated from my BrewCraft clone kit results, that the Apparent Attenuation was 81% and the real attenuation was 67%. Based on my inexperienced eye, I would say that there was medium flocculation. I don't know about the degree of alcohol tolerance, but my ABV was 7.6%. The only thing missing from my homemade profile would be what flavors that it favored or produced.

I brewed this kit about 4 months ago. This was really an excellent kit and my best batch to date. I like mine even better than the original.

I used it for a Red Rye several months ago and it came out absolutely delicious! Rogue uses Pacman for many of their beers, including Shakespeare Stout (which is where I got my yeast from). It seems to be a pretty versatile strain.

I plan on using it for my smash with vienna and Northern Brewer and a dead guy clone too.

I have the bottom of a hazelnut brown that I am going to see if I can get anything from this week.

I got mine from Wyeast.

I've only done two beers with it and I got ~81% on a 'standard' ale (below) and 74% on a Stout (but it was a Stout with lots of unfermentables).

I e-mailed Wyeast and they said use the same numbers/description as the 1056 American Ale yeast.

I've never even tasted any Rogue beer.:(

Pacman Ale

Pacman3.jpg

I use this and London Ale III as my "House Yeasts" and couldn't be happier with either. I get a pretty dry beer out of Pacman, with most beers finishing at least 3 points lower than Beersmith predicts. I am a big fan of specialty malts and Pacman keeps my beer from being cloying. I ferment at 63F for the majority of fermentation and then let the yeast clean up at 67F for the last few days before kegging.

Back