Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iberwolf

Reaction score
Hello guys, I made beer this weekend and found a problem on the boil. Before starting to boil, began to form a "gum" that I tried to remove it, but every time I removed back to form this "gum". What should I do?

I think what you are describing is "hot break" which is formed from the proteins in the wort. You can just ignore it.

Hello guys, I made beer this weekend and found a problem on the boil. Before starting to boil, began to form a "gum" that I tried to remove it, but every time I removed back to form this "gum". What should I do?

Where is this "gum" forming? What does it look like? How are you removing it? Pictures would be great, if you have any.

Yep, sounds like hot break to me but pics would be helpful to confirm. Some folks try to skim it off (and a select few experts who's names escape me actually advocate doing so), but generally there's no need. It'll coagulate together and drop back down, and either get left behind in the kettle if you whirlpool or the like, or if you just dump it all in the fermenter it'll get left behind there.

The one thing to keep in mind is that it can form a bit of a barrier that lets the wort boil more rapidly underneath, not unlike putting the lid on the kettle. Which in turn will form more break. Which means once hot break starts it can build up to a boilover very rapidly, so keep an eye on it always. Eventually it'll all collapse back down.

Well staff, first I have to thank you for your quick help. Well, I've been reading on some blogs and they say the same as you, that is, proteins are proven by hot break, but at the same time are off-flavors of beer. So I can then simply let the boil and then let land with turb? Attached is a picture of the situation that happened to me.

View attachment 1448571887809.jpg

Yup hot break, although I have heard the early forming part of it called "foop" before. Either way, looks totally normal to me, brew on.

Never heard that it can produce off flavors. Control the heat to keep the foam from overflowing the pot. It will subside. There is no reason to try to remove it.

Never heard that it can produce off flavors. Control the heat to keep the foam from overflowing the pot. It will subside. There is no reason to try to remove it.

Probably the trub lipids and fatty acids leading to oxidation (hot break eventually becoming trub), which on the homebrew has routinely been shown not to be an issue. And leaving it in the kettle is fine to prevent, no need to skim. But skimming may reduce the trub amount later on.

Just keep a spray bottle near by and spray if when you are getting the boil under control, spray knocks that right back down.
its an easy way to reduce the boil over, as others have said its normal and will settle to the bottom of the boil kettle.

Yup hot break, although I have heard the early forming part of it called "foop" before. Either way, looks totally normal to me, brew on.
I also found this standard have happened to me, but I was curious and started researching until it appeared in a blog to say it was one of the off-flavors

Just keep a spray bottle near by and spray if when you are getting the boil under control, spray knocks that right back down.
its an easy way to reduce the boil over, as others have said its normal and will settle to the bottom of the boil kettle.
Unfortunately I do not understand what you're trying to tell me. Sorry :/

Probably the trub lipids and fatty acids leading to oxidation (hot break eventually becoming trub), which on the homebrew has routinely been shown not to be an issue. And leaving it in the kettle is fine to prevent, no need to skim. But skimming may reduce the trub amount later on.
I think I have a problem .. My pot of boiling / mashing has a pipe under a pot that connects to a water pump. Perhaps to turn on the water pump to pass the wort into the fermenter, the turb which is in the bottom of the pot will get you to the fermenter.

I think I have a problem .. My pot of boiling / mashing has a pipe under a pot that connects to a water pump. Perhaps to turn on the water pump to pass the wort into the fermenter, the turb which is in the bottom of the pot will get you to the fermenter.

At homebrew scale it doesn't matter if it makes it to the fermenter. Don't worry about it is what we're trying to say. In a 120bbl cylindroconical fermenter it can be a problem, but not in a 5, 10, 15 gallon batch. All the studies and blind tastings of homebrew that I've see show no statistical flavor or stability difference whether trub is filtered out before the fermenter, or allowed to go to the fermenter.

At homebrew scale it doesn't matter if it makes it to the fermenter. Don't worry about it is what we're trying to say. In a 120bbl cylindroconical fermenter it can be a problem, but not in a 5, 10, 15 gallon batch. All the studies and blind tastings of homebrew that I've see show no statistical flavor or stability difference whether trub is filtered out before the fermenter, or allowed to go to the fermenter.
I will not worry about it on the boil .. I have a cylindroconical fermenter 15 gallons.

Back