kolsch hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
Never brewed a kolsch, but it's on my short list.

Any opinion on using Saaz versus Hallertau? Is one superior for a kolsch or are both good, just different? I've never used either hop variety, so seeking opinions.

Thx.

I use Perle and Spalt to bitter and then Liberty for flavor and a dash of Liberty for aroma

I believe Liberty has Hallertau as one of it's parents

In my opinion this is a philosophical question that depends on your goal.

- If you're brewing for you then use whatever hops you prefer.

- If you are brewing for competition than I think any noble hop will get you there. This is true because a kolsch shouldn't have much hop character anyways, so the differences that would be derived from Saaz vs Hallertau, or Perle when used as bittering hops is unlikely to be huge. In fact, with the possible exception of Spalt, I don't believe that a judge could drink it and say "XXX Hop was used as the bittering hop here, that's incorrect!" (You could make a beautiful beer with 3 or more hop additions, but I don't think that should be an award winning kolsch)

Overall, I think the hop that will work best for either goal is very likely going to depend on every other factor (malt bill, yeast, process). For example, Hallertau might work best in one recipe, or for one person, whereas Spalt may be the perfect hop for another.

This is true because a kolsch shouldn't have much hop character anyways .......

I was in Cologne this summer and sampled quite a few Kolsch while there. What surpirsed me most was how much more bitter than I expected the majority of them were. A number of them had a lingering bitterness to them, not unlike a typical mass produced German lager. Again, this was not what I expected. Everything else I read was spot on, slightly fruity, soft, delicate, no real hop aroma, etc.

The BJCP guidlines say 20-30 IBUs. I'd put the majority of the ones we tried at 30 or more - at least is seemed that way. The guidelines also say this

Note that drier versions may seem hoppier or more bitter than the IBU specifications might suggest.

This make sense, but I would add, that the majority of the ones we had were of the drier style. (we had mostly drafts, the only bottle was DOM which was my least favorite, a "BMC" according to a guy on the train). I think they should emphasize this more in the guidelines. Malzmuhle was the only one that matched what I thought a Koslch should taste like - just based on reading and versions made in the US, and the two imports Gaffel and Reissdorf. Malzmuhle was also the richest and maltiest.

I was in Cologne this summer and sampled quite a few Kolsch while there. What surpirsed me most was how much more bitter than I expected the majority of them were. A number of them had a lingering bitterness to them, not unlike a typical mass produced German lager. Again, this was not what I expected. Everything else I read was spot on, slightly fruity, soft, delicate, no real hop aroma, etc.

The BJCP guidlines say 20-30 IBUs. I'd put the majority of the ones we tried at 30 or more - at least is seemed that way. The guidelines also say this

This make sense, but I would add, that the majority of the ones we had were of the drier style. (we had mostly drafts, the only bottle was DOM which was my least favorite, a "BMC" according to a guy on the train). I think they should emphasize this more in the guidelines. Malzmuhle was the only one that matched what I thought a Koslch should taste like - just based on reading and versions made in the US, and the two imports Gaffel and Reissdorf. Malzmuhle was also the richest and maltiest.

I can't argue with that. But I am referring to aroma and flavour, not bitterness. Also, regardless of how they taste in Cologne, you can't assume that the judges have been there, and they will judging you against the guidelines.

Like I said though, make them however you want, but the guidelines really do dictate what you should do for competition (whether they are right or wrong)

I can't argue with that. But I am referring to aroma and flavour, not bitterness. Also, regardless of how they taste in Cologne, you can't assume that the judges have been there, and they will judging you against the guidelines.

Like I said though, make them however you want, but the guidelines really do dictate what you should do for competition (whether they are right or wrong)

I agree, minimal hop flavor and aroma. I assume the judges haven't been there, and would expect them to a kolsch like Malzmuhle, higher than say my favorite Pfaggen, which was quite bitter. Same for Alt beers. Judges here seem to expect a little sweetness in them and I detect NONE in the Dusseldorf alts from the source. If you want some sweetness, brew an American Amber

And I agree, brew what you want. Half my brews fit nicely into one BJCP category or another. Then I do a whole bunch with twists that don't fit any categories.

Kolsch shouldn't have much hop flavor or aroma, virtually none. No hop addition less than 20 min. boil time. We've all been taught to over hop. After years of bland under hoped commercial beer there was a reaction. Now we expect a lot of hop character, not realizing that some styles should have low hop bitterness and low to no hop flavor and aroma.

For a Kolsch the Pilsner malt flavor and aroma need to show. A characterful German malt is more vital to the style than hop character.

Tettnanger, or Hallertau hops are tops for hops in Kolsch. Hallertau is my first choice for Kolsch. It has good bittering. I'd use any Noble Hop enough to get 22 IBU. German Perle could be a good hop to use. Mt. Hood in a pinch. It does have Hallertau parentage. I'd sure rather have German Perle than US Tettnanger any time.

I've made a good Kolsch once or twice but I'd rather have American Blonde Ale hopped like Kolsch. It's easier to produce and easier to brew in style. Just don't be fooled into using citrusy American Hops in American Blonde. Willamette or Perle are better choices.

Back