Grand rapids Michigan here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlasmaBrewer

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my first brew this weekend. I chose the name plasmabrewer because I donate plasma to buy my supplies :) . I currently have a basic setup for single stage but I plan to get a second carboy this weekend for two stage brewing. My first beer will be a orange honey cream ale from a kit that my lhbs puts together. I plan to build a keggerator in March.

Can anyone tell me if a 5 gallon carboy will work for a secondary?

Conditioning my aluminum brew pot

ForumRunner_20120125_170951.jpg

Hello. Actually, if you decide that you want to use a secondary, a 5 gallon will work even better than a 6 or 6.5 gallon, less head space. That is the size I use.

Since, you sell plasma to feed your obsession, you can go even further buy selling "other" bodily fluids. I haven't had to get to that point yet!!

Cheers :mug:

Hello. Actually, if you decide that you want to use a secondary, a 5 gallon will work even better than a 6 or 6.5 gallon, less head space. That is the size I use.

Since, you sell plasma to feed your obsession, you can go even further buy selling "other" bodily fluids. I haven't had to get to that point yet!!

Cheers :mug:

Haha, my wife would KILL me

I'm from Rockford, but I'm in GR all the time. I'm guessing you bought your supplies from Sicilianos? That store is amazing. If you need bottles or feel like trading some brews let me know!

Greetings!

I never thought about selling plasma for brewing supplies... I do give blood regularly.

As far as the "other", do they take a picture so the recipient can pick and choose??

Oh well, never mind. I'd be a waste of their time now anyway. LOL!

They were super helpful and it's a dedicated brew shop. Do you know how much a corny keg is at siscilianos?

I'm not totally sure. I bought 3 of mine of Craigslist for $30 each and I got the other 2 online for $45 each. I think it's $50 at Sicilianos from what I remember when I asked a while ago.

Off Topic
@tinman - I get to Hopcat as often as I can. Don't go to Founders much. I actually buy most of my non-homemade beer at Siciliano's (I live about a mile from there) since they sell everything as singles.

Welcome to HBT!!!! So being from GR-MI, I assume you've spend fair amount of time at Founders or Hop Cat. Is the Hide Away still open?

As a former plasma donator, I think that is a GREAT way to fuel your new passion. Good luck.

Founders is the ****, but once in a while i used to head to the dirty bird, aka flamingo over on the west side just to watch people lmao

I actually don't get to the brewpubs, they are usually ridiculously busy and I'm not a large crowd person.

I'm the same way, but you should really stop by Founders sometime. Don't go on a weekend, go on a Tuesday or Wed night a little after dinner time or a little before. It really is worth it.

I'm the same way. Never been to Founder's or any other brewpub really. A friend is having his birthday at Founder's next month, so that's finally going to change.

Grand Raggidy, represent!

Born and raised there...just moved away a year and miss it all the time. I should move back just on account of there being so many homebrewers there!

There are some amazing microbreweries in Michigan these days, I just wish we could get them out here in Utah.

Welcome to HBT, this place will amaze you!

Getting ready to start my first brew this weekend. I chose the name plasmabrewer because I donate plasma to buy my supplies :) . I currently have a basic setup for single stage but I plan to get a second carboy this weekend for two stage brewing. My first beer will be a orange honey cream ale from a kit that my lhbs puts together. I plan to build a keggerator in March.

Can anyone tell me if a 5 gallon carboy will work for a secondary?

Welcome Plasma brewer!! This is the best site ever for a homebrewer to keep plugged into.

The carboy works perfectly for second stage.

My personal plug for Sicilliano's... the best home brew shop I have ever been to. Helpful staff and well stocked for the "stop in and pick up" and the way.

Cheers!!

Also. Have any of you used adventures in homebrewing for supplies? They ship anywhere in Michigan for 5 bucks...

Grand Raggidy, represent!

Born and raised there...just moved away a year and miss it all the time. I should move back just on account of there being so many homebrewers there!

There are some amazing microbreweries in Michigan these days, I just wish we could get them out here in Utah.

Welcome to HBT, this place will amaze you!

You miss the raggidy? Gun Ru? Your right I do sometimes too. I miss Franklin, and Eastern, and all those other places I used to kick in doors lmao

Also. Have any of you used adventures in homebrewing for supplies? They ship anywhere in Michigan for 5 bucks...

I use apexbrewwares.com for everything. Jeremy is a member here, can take on anyone's prices, and ships in the USA for $7.99. You will save a ton of money going through Jeremy. I order everything for my brewery from him.

Give him a call, email, or PM here with what you want and he will make it happen. I had a huge order a few weeks back (several hundred) and he beat out 8 other guys by literally $104.00.

Just finished my first batch. OG was about 1.055 and was supposed to be 1.059, so not too far off.

Hey guys...good to hear I am not the only one here! Currently a pharmacy student living and going to school in downtown Grand Rapids. I have been to both O'connors and Silicianos multiple times...both are great places, can't go wrong either way. I will say that if the funding is the issue....Siliciano's will suit you much better. But the people at O'Connor's are top notch too.

I would suggest buying your kegging equipment online...they make it real easy to get a entire setup. I used www.kegconnections.com they are real good...had some shipping issues but it was nothing they did wrong, and were super cool about it. You will have plenty of chances to support the local brew store with grain/equpiment/impulse buys ect :)

Tested the gravity of my brew tonight (airlock started slowing down). Im currently at 1.015. Think Im about done?

I grew up in MI, and miss the all micro-brews from there which we can't get on the east coast. I did an extract clone of Bell's Oberon, but in my opinion it just wasn't the same. I'm guessing that you need some yeast from a Bell's bottle. We can however, get Founders where I live, which is a good thing.

Bell's is in the process of expanding, I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to get it soon.

Bell's is in the process of expanding, I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to get it soon.
Sounds cool. I did a clone of the two hearted ale, and it was awesome. I also like the North Peak Brewery in Traverse City, and Short's as well.

Back