Grain Mill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I just ordered a Crankandstein, and requested the top of the line 3D. I had assumed I would be getting stainless rollers, but based upon the price I paid, I can just about guarantee they're carbon steel (I sent an email to verify this).

If I get stuck with the standard steel rollers, will they rust on me?

I have a crankandstien 2S, used it for 6 months or so, no rust.

Then again, I dont mill wet grain, I dont leave it outside, I mill in the basement. I clean it up after milling, and have not had, and do not anticipate a problem. I love it, and for the price, I think its awesome. Based on the quality of workmanship, I anticipate this mill will last 1000 years or more. :D

Carbon steel can last a lifetime with some reasonable care- mainly, don't get it wet and watch your ambient humidity. I have lots of carbon steel tools (some 30 years old) that look brand-new, not a single dot of rust.

My order hasn't shipped yet, so I'm going to try and upgrade to the SS rollers. I'd rather not miss a spot of rust one day, and the grains strip it off...eventually into my beer. $75 bucks is a fairly painless piece-of-mind investment in something I intend to last a lifetime.

Back