Trouble closing perlick 425s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
I recently was lucky to get some 425s and replaced my 525s. I love them, but people who come over can't close them correctly. If you do not push them straight back, they can leak a little, like spit. Anyone else with 425s have this problem? Do I need new orings? Had the angry wife call me because the father in-law let beer run all over the counter.

I recently was lucky to get some 425s and replaced my 525s. I love them, but people who come over can't close them correctly. If you do not push them straight back, they can leak a little, like spit. Anyone else with 425s have this problem? Do I need new orings? Had the angry wife call me because the father in-law let beer run all over the counter.

I've got one faucet that does that. It's like it doesn't shut off all the way, so there's a continuous "spitting" of beer until I just do a quick "on/off" to get it to close. That always seems to work.

Luckily the keg this faucet was hooked to has finally kicked, so I'll probably take it apart this weekend and clean it thoroughly. I'll probably let it soak in BLC and then just give the Orings a good dose of keg lube and see how that goes. I'll report back my findings.

EDIT: I also have the 425, btw

I've got one faucet that does that. It's like it doesn't shut off all the way, so there's a continuous "spitting" of beer until I just do a quick "on/off" to get it to close. That always seems to work.

Luckily the keg this faucet was hooked to has finally kicked, so I'll probably take it apart this weekend and clean it thoroughly. I'll probably let it soak in BLC and then just give the Orings a good dose of keg lube and see how that goes. I'll report back my findings.

EDIT: I also have the 425, btw

Yes, that is what it does, spit beer. Think i will buy a rebuild kit and put all new orings in.

I've had my Perlicks for almost 5 years now, they do tend to stick after some time without cleaning them once in a while. I run a quart of warm water through the lines and taps, while opening and closing them, and then let them stay like that for an hour. Then I rinse the lines and taps with StarSan doing the same thing, before flushing them out with beer.

This seems to keep the taps working without sticking. Of course I bought mine new and have maintained them myself, not sure how bad the ones you bought are.

Over the years I've found if the "floating" o-ring doesn't "float" the closure can become unreliable. Sugars will build up in the groove and stick the ring.

Staying on top of the cleaning regimen made that a non-issue a since couple of years back...

Cheers!

I've had my Perlicks for almost 5 years now, they do tend to stick after some time without cleaning them once in a while. I run a quart of warm water through the lines and taps, while opening and closing them, and then let them stay like that for an hour. Then I rinse the lines and taps with StarSan doing the same thing, before flushing them out with beer.

This seems to keep the taps working without sticking. Of course I bought mine new and have maintained them myself, not sure how bad the ones you bought are.

I don't think it's as much as sticking issue as it is a closing issue, at least with me. The one faucet I have, sometimes I have to "off/on/off" in quick succession to get it to close correctly. The keg that faucet was connected to has finally kicked, so I'll break it down and give it a thorough cleaning and see how it goes from there. If not, then I'll just get a rebuild kit if the silicon rings Milldoggy ordered doesn't work out.

Gotta say, I freaking love how strong the homebrew brother(and sister)hood community is here.

Exactly, not a sticking issue, a closing issue. Since I have a pack of 50, if they work, I can mail you 10 or so.

Just to report back, put on the silicone ones today, could not replicate the spiting/closing issue. They seem a tad smaller than my old orings, maybe this is allowing them to seat better. @yesfan, back of goodies mailing your way next week.

Back