Fell asleep during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrook0

Reaction score
I fell asleep during the boil last night.. pre boil gravity of 1055 and was shooting for an sg of 1072.. when I went downstairs to my brewery at 4.30am the burner was off I must've turned it off (I am a sleepwalker) as that's the only explanation..anyway I'm going to finish the boil tonight just to ad my finishing hops and see how it goes. I cant lose anything other than a bit of yeast.
Has anyone ever done the same? or just left the boiled wort and then brought it back to boil the next day?
The problem I have is I have no idea how long it was boiling for. I quickly took a reading this morning and it's already 1080 so as I was a doing a 60 minute boil to get 1072 and now it's 1080 I would say it had been boiling for 90-120 mins.. does sound right?
Another problem i have is as it has boiled for probably 120mins I had 20gm of summit at at 60 and then another 25gm of summit/chinook at 30mins (then I fell asleep) the IBU's which I havent done the calculations yet will be through the roof?
Thoughts on adding water to bring the gravity down before I boil tonight or just leave it at 1080 due to the higher IBU?

specs: mashed at 64 degrees 90mins
ibu's around mid 60's from memory
pale/golden promise base 85%...caramuich, dark munich, melanoidin

Its happened to me, long brew day! Had a stuck mash which took the best part of 6 hours to run off properly. Was due to a plastic pipe between the valve and false bottom. We got on with it and let it run. Kept the runnings on the burner to keep close to boiling. Anyway got it all run off and boiling, had a few too many beers during the time and nodded off in front of the tele. Havent got my notes but was a 2-3 hour boil. Just topped off with water to get the batch size and bring down the gravity. No problems with it being too bitter but the hops werent that high AA%. Id say go for it. Do what you need to get your volume or SG

if you know your system, you should be able to figure out how long it boiled by the leftover volume. Like i know that my system boils 1.06 gallons off every hour, so i would be able to get a pretty exact time frame from that

So I reboiled for fifteen minutes then added 5 minutes and flameout.. while it was heating up I thought I would take out the two hop bags that were in there... I felt like I was at a trout farm.. I fished out five hop bags! so that means??? I have no idea what happened sunday night! when I got home last night I brought up the recipe on beersmith and deleted my hop additions after 30mins and re entered 5mins and flameout. This was prior to fishing out all the hop bags so now I officially have no idea what quantity of hops were in there all I know is that there is summit, chinook, cascade and glacier.. interesting to see how this one turns out and if it's good I dont know how I could brew it again? fall asleep again maybe? I ended up with 17litres was meant to yield 21 i think.. I ended up with a gravity of 1084 instead of my target 1072

I think I might boil some water and start adding it to the kettle till I either got to the OG I need or the volume I need and decide then if any changes are needed. Then pitch and hope for the best. I doubt I'd feed any more hops other than your finishing hops.

Still fermenting.. currently at 1019.. Put 50 grams of cascade in when it was at 1030 and another 40 grams last night.. I'm very interested to see how this turns out..

i know it is past the point of figuring out your boil time but i know you said you had Beersmith... couldn't you just play with your "Bol time" numbers and see what leaves you with a SG of 1.084? if your equipment profile is setup properly you should be able to get a close ballpark of your boiltime and IBU's. You know, just incase this is the best beer you ever made. hahaha

I had it happen too, my first year of home brewing, I bought 2 pumpkin kits from Midwest and did a back to back brew day and fell asleep during the second batch and it boiled down from 4 and a half gallons to about 1. I just added top off water to about 5 gallons and boiled for about 10 mins and then cooled and transferred to the fermenter and pitched my yeast.

And I can say that if I didn't mark what ones were batch 1 and batch 2 you couldn't tell the difference.

In the end I had beer. Good luck I think you'll be fine.

How did I miss this post? Must have happened while I was sleeping. I hope sleepwalker's surprise turns out well and thanks for the chuckle.

i know it is past the point of figuring out your boil time but i know you said you had Beersmith... couldn't you just play with your "Bol time" numbers and see what leaves you with a SG of 1.084? if your equipment profile is setup properly you should be able to get a close ballpark of your boiltime and IBU's. You know, just incase this is the best beer you ever made. hahaha

Good point.. If it turns out to be worth brewing again I'll play with that.. I'll let you guys know once it's been tapped.

Back