Stainless Steel Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I've been looking at propane burners and most are smallish at about 55,000 BTU's.

I'm considering using kegs for kettle, and MLT, and it seems that I would want 100,000-ish, to be able to boil large amounts of water, reasonably quickly.

Thinking of things as a Toolmaker, the option of a 100,000 BTU SS burner is interesting, as it also apparently a decent price. I know what high heat does to regular steel... :(

I hafta guess this a high-pressure-regulator propane system (due to the BTU's), although I have not called them about details..

Anybody know of these, or other SS burners and can you offer advice of unsuitability of these or for selection of a good buy?

http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-Propane-Burner_p_21-175.html

That is kind of misleading....the stand is SS...okay.

OK, I've gotta say it....but why bother? The thing is going to get all black and scorched anyway...why not just buy a cheap turkey fryer and be done with it?

Don't care what it LOOKS like.

I just know that gas grill burners don't hold up real well, and I've seen a rapid failure of fireplace grates made out of steel.

IF I can get one that is SS for close to the same price, I figure it is good for a lifetime.

I'm looking to build a sculpture, not just have a turkey fryer that also boils wort.

Henry Hill said:
Don't care what it LOOKS like.

I just know that gas grill burners don't hold up real well, and I've seen a rapid failure of fireplace grates made out of steel.

IF I can get one that is SS for close to the same price, I figure it is good for a lifetime.

I'm looking to build a sculpture, not just have a turkey fryer that also boils wort.

I can't tell from the picture if the burner itself is made from stainless, or just the stand around it. Are you going to build the whole structure from stainless steel?

Yeah, I'm not believing the burner is SS....the stand is. I'll bet the burner itself is just the cast iron ones exactly like you see in a turkey fryer.

And FWIW, my first turkey fryer has been through it all, wind, sun, rain and endless burning, and it is a strong today as it was brand new.

Just trying to save you some benjamins man. A stainless frame is overkill, IMHO.

Cheesefood said:
Dude:

Do you still use your fryer? Is it part of the sculpture?

Yes...the original is on the top tier--it is tack welded to the frame. It has some rust, but it is SOLID. That baby sat outside in the elements for months before it met its destiny on the rig.

No not planning on SS for the frame, just looking for the Shiznit in burners, for a decent price.

Seems I need to call and verify, and/or keep looking.

Edit: seems all I can find in actual BURNER materials is cast iron, as Dude said.

Back