noob wants feedback on extract wiesenbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0ug

Reaction score
So I tried a Hefeweisen kit recently, and since I'm always trying to make life more complicated I decided to try to up the abv on the finished product by throwing in some more DME. what I brewed looked like this:

6.6# Muntons Wheat LME
1# Muntons Wheat DME
1# Muntons Extra Light DME
2 oz Liberty dried hops
1/2 tsp Irish moss
Fermentis Safbrew WB-06

Added 3.3# LME and 10z hops, boil 30 min

Added DME, LME, 10z hops, boil 10 min

added Irish moss, boiled 10 min.

Brought to 5 gal. in pail and water bath to 84*F

Pitched yeast, and fermented in ambient temp of 64*F (it's gurggling happily now)
Hop and boil schedules from kit directions.

My question is, most of the extract recipes for a wiezenbock seem to include specailty grains in the boil,. How flat tasting, or lifeless will this brew be. What would you have done differently? What should I change in the future if trying this again?

Ps, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing, I'm still trying to figure out where to post different questions.

Howdy,
So the recipe looks fine. Traditional wheat beers are some mix of pale malt and wheat. Usually between 60-70% wheat and 30-40% pale malt. A lot of the complexity you get in these comes from the yeast. That being the case you want to make sure your fermentation happens in the proper temperature range and that your yeast are nice and happy. You're fermenting around 64 which is probably good(seeing as I don't know what yeast you're using).

The only two things I would think about for the next time:
1. 84f is a bit hot to pitch your yeast. It'll make beer just fine, but you want to pitch at the same temp you're going to ferment at, in the case of a wheat beer that you want to get good ester production I'd even go as far as to pitch it a bit cooler than that. Let it warm up on its own.

2. I know there are extract recipes that say to do a 30 minute boil and late malt additions. I can't really speak to the specifics of a certain extract kit, but generally anything under and hour and you run the risk of getting DMS in your brew. Personally I'd say add all your malt at the start of the boil and stick to 60 minutes to be on the safe side. Once again if your kit tells you to do it it's probably ok, but for future recipe building stick with adding your malt at the start of the boil and 60 minutes.

There's some more info about boil science here.

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/13-boiling/1682-wort-boiling-homebrew-science

Thanks Baconator. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

The yeast was Fermentis Safbrew WB-06. OG was 1.069, corrected to 60*F

Back