Would there be a problem brewing this grain bill as a single infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskiecf

Reaction score
Fermentables
7.5 lbs. Rahr 6-Row
0.5 lbs. US Carapils
1 lbs. Flaked Maize

Mash Schedule
122° F for 20 minutes
153° F for 60 minutes
170° F for 10 minutes

I'd prefer being a newby all grain brewer to brew this as a single infusion. Does anyone see any issues with that? Thanks all!

Almost all of my beers are single infusion, unless there is a darn good reason to do a protein rest or a decoction. With that grain bill, I don't see any reason it should be a multistep mash. I'd do a single infusion, but use 2-row, not 6-row unless you like the graininess.

Thanks guys. I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. Step infusion seems like it would be very difficult to do using a cooler as a mash tun. I'm sure it can be done, but @ this point I want to keep it as simple as I can and get used to the process and steps. I brewed my first all grain batch last sunday and was pleasantly surprised how smooth it went. Between reading books, watching videos and reading threads I felt pretty confident of what to do. Also 1 more question. If I were to brew a 10 gallon batch by doubling the ingredients of 5 gallon recipe is it safe to say that my strike temps etc. will stay the same? Or due to the larger mass of grains will this need to be adjusted? I've read varying things in regards to this.

Thanks guys. I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. Step infusion seems like it would be very difficult to do using a cooler as a mash tun. I'm sure it can be done, but @ this point I want to keep it as simple as I can and get used to the process and steps. I brewed my first all grain batch last sunday and was pleasantly surprised how smooth it went. Between reading books, watching videos and reading threads I felt pretty confident of what to do. Also 1 more question. If I were to brew a 10 gallon batch by doubling the ingredients of 5 gallon recipe is it safe to say that my strike temps etc. will stay the same? Or due to the larger mass of grains will this need to be adjusted? I've read varying things in regards to this.

While that grain bill definitely doesn't need a protein rest, I've not have problems doing this in my cooler setup. You just need to have enough spare pots to make sure the next batch of strike water is ready to go when the rest is up. Beersmith calculates all this for you. If you are worried about space, start with a thicker mash, maybe 1 qt per pound.

If you don't preheat your mashtun, you may need to decrease the strike water for a 10 gallon batch,. If you do, my guess is that you would be fine as is.

Back