Extract kits and priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
Do you always use the full amount of priming sugar given in extract kits or does it depend on the type of beer you are making? It seems like they always come with 5 oz. of "priming sugar". Is this dextrose? I've always just used the full amount and have had good success... just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

It's probably dextrose and as long as you are happy with the results, why worry? Despite years of brewing, if I order a kit, I don't mess with it.

Yes, usually kits come with 4.5 or 5 ounces of corn sugar for priming, that is pretty much the standard for most beers to achieve between 2-2.5 volumes of co2.

If you are interested though you can "carb to style," take a look around here and you can find charts to help you do it, and most brewing software will help you do it automatically. For example my Saison was carbed, iirc to 3 or 3.5 volumes of co2..I think I used 6 ounces of priming sugar to get that level.

Are you kegging or bottling? Typically, most kits recommend using the full amount for bottling and a portion of that for kegging. There's been some people around here that have just done the full portion while kegging and haven't had any issues that I've seen.

Back