Need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
I started this mead 19 weeks ago. 3 gal batch. Started at 1.15 grav and now I'm at 1.06 putting me around 12% I believe. I'm racking it as I'm typing this. I had a goal that I wanted to hit 1.03 finishing grav, so I'm debating on just keeping it as is or to add more yeast for a second small fermentation to get it to 1.03. Suggestions?

1.030 is pretty darn sweet for most meads, and 1.150 is a very very high starting gravity. Your yeast likely got stalled from osmotic stress. Its always good to add more honey in as you go instead of loading up with 5lbs per gallon right in the beginning. You may be able to get the batch going again, but it is harder to reset a stuck batch than starting from 0 abv, since your yeast will be dealing with alcohol levels right off the bat as well as more sugar to eat. Im sure someone around has a good restarting yeast. I know ec-1118 can handle higher abvs.

Back