My new kettle from spikebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsaw

Reaction score
I got my new 15 gal kettle from Spike Brewing today and it is a beauty. I put the fittings in and 10 gal of water to check for leaks and didn’t find any. I would have put in 15 gal but I was marking my stirring spoon every gal and decided that if I ever needed more than 10 gal then I would burn that bridge when I got to it. I had planned on putting a sight glass on it, but I must have bought the wrong fittings to do that because it stood out from the kettle an inch and a half or so. Anyway, I had a plug and used it to plug the hole I had planned to use for the sight glass and thermometer. I don’t have the thermometer yet because I had planned on using an electric digital model so I could put it anywhere in the pot. Also, I plan on doing BIAB and didn’t want something sharp sticking out in the pot to snag the bag. Has anybody had a problem with the thermometer catching on the bag?

Handsaw,
What fittings did you ultimately end up installing? The sight glass is usually about one inch out from the kettle and should also be protected from the flame wash if using gas for heat. I built a small sheet metal deflector to accomplish that. A 2 " thermometer will not protrude much and has a rounded tip to help reduce snagging the bag. Otherwise you could solder a 1/2 round cover over the tip and call it good from there. Lots of easy solutions if you can solder with lead free solder.
Wheelchair Bob

I have not brewed in the pot yet, but have been looking for where to do the brew. My big scheme (which didn't work) was to brew on the stove top. We have a big gas range and it has enough power to boil 5 gal, but there is a warning shelf on that stick out far enough and the pot is tall enough that they collide if I try to put the pot on the stove. Besides, my first receipt has about 12 lb of grain which I'm guessing will double in weight when it gets wet and I would like to have something above the rig to rig a pulley to to help with lifting the bag out of the liquid.
Oh, you asked what fittings I added. I have only added a 3 piece ball valve in one of the couplings and a plug in the other. I figure that I can use either my tea thermometer or the floating dairy thermometer to get the water to strike temperature and that way, when I get either my electronic thermometer or a bimetal one where the plug is now that I will really appreciate it.
One thing that is holding me up is that I only own one better bottle and it has an extract beer in it right now that isn't ready to bottle.

I have a 9 gallon Spikebrewing kettle and love it. I don't need anything bigger as I have already done 16 lbs in a BIAB. Well, maybe some DIPA's with 20 lbs would be very tight.

I have ripped one bag due to the thermometer. I was afraid to saw it off and smooth it out not knowing if it would affect an accurate temp. I now just try to remember when I put the bag out.

Werd. I am really digging my 15 gallon. VERY nice kettle, Most excellent customer service. Ben is the man.

spike.jpg

Back