Infection from siphon??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassyBrewer

Reaction score
So to get the last bit of beer on the bottom of the carboy, my roomate and I tried to siphon it out using my mouth. Now, I swigged listerine around for a good 2 minutes. But while starting the siphon, some beer went in my mouth then into the bottle bucket. I was wondering what the chances of contamination are because of that? I assume it would be very little since I swished with Listerine beforehand, but I'm not sure.

Hehe, not to much, expecially since you used some listerine beforehand. I wouldn't worry about it.:mug:

You just set yourself up to get an infection. The human mouth is just about the filthiest place on the planet. Dog's mouth are better than ours and we all know what they eat.
I'm not saying you will get an infection, but you did give it a chance. Although I've read of numerous people on this site who have used their mouths to start a siphon, most will tell you that you need to find another way.
the Auto-siphon is by far the easiest I've found. Just remember to sanitize anything and everything before you put it in contact with your beer.
I hate to give anything a chance after putting so much effort into it not to mention the time involved.
Best of luck

I guarantee you got some of your mouth organisms into the brew (it really is your brew my friend). Will it make any difference - probably not.

Your mouth organisms need lots of yummy sucrose or glucose or galactose etc to thrive and there is probably not much of that in your beer - futhermore the beer is otherwise very inhospitable being full of alcohol and aggressive nasty yeasties.

now if you had just eaten some blue cheese it may be another story.

Back