Root Beer - Force Carb then Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girdwood

Reaction score
I did a Root-Beer recipe (with the Rainbow extract; one bottle of root beer, and half a bottle of cream soda extract, 6 cups of table sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar... don't follow this recipe, as it is WAY too strong of an extract flavor :)). Live and learn.

Carbing Question: I'm trying to force-carb it and then bottle it immediately after it's carbonated. From what I'm reading, I need to turn the regulator to 35-40PSI for about a week, then it should be good? I had it at around 30PSI for a week and a half and it seems like it's the same as when I transferred it into the keg. Should I turn it up to 40PSI and let it sit for another week?

Bottling Question: From what I read, I should have about 20-30' of line to avoid foaming. Would this still be required if I shut off and purged the CO2, then turned it to ±2-3PSI in order to transfer it into bottles and cap?

What temp are you force carbing at? Look at a carbonation chart. If you're doing at a higher temp, you'll need to crank up the pressure.

Your bottling idea...yes. Make sure your bottles are very cold.

Well, I was planning on force carbonating it in the kegerator like I do everything else... but with the other kegs and secondary fermenter in there, there's no room. So right now it's just sitting in the garage, and ambient temps are 35-45*F the past week.

I did just recently learned about the carbonation chart, but I'm not really sure what a root-beer should be at as far as volume of CO2. 4.0? Thoughts?

Back