Ship beer-before or after carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skins

Reaction score
Long-time reader, first-time poster

I just bottled a burly double IPA. I haven't brewed in 3 years so I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement, but it tasted decent when I took a test while measuring the final gravity.

Here's the thing. I want to ship some of it to some friends. I've read the posts I could find on shipping, so consider me informed about the various caveats.

In my limited experience, within three days or so of bottling the beer will start to show some signs of carbonation. It's been two days though, and I see no signs in my test bottle (a squeezed plastic bottle). I see posts suggesting bigger beers take longer to carbonate. I gotta leave my beer stash for a few months in two days. Do I ship now, before it's carbonated, or is it too risky to ship uncarbonated beer cause you don't know what sort of beer trap you're sending off? What about all that jostling? Bad for a just bottled beer?

Thanks for any opinions! Thinking temps will be reasonable in most places the beer is headed and traveling through.

in your case, having to leave for a few months, i'd go ahead and ship, but let them know that since it's a big beer and needs to carb, don't pop it for a month

FYI the beer never carbonated, so the whole question was kind of moot. Sorry to not be able to report back with something more interesting.

Latest posts

Back