Painted labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipdop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find anything specific about this.

Anyway, I really like the shape of the Corona Familiar bottles and am wondering if anyone has ever tried taking the labels off. The bottles are (according to wikipedia) 31.8 U.S. fl oz (see attached image).

I've had some stone IPA lables just wear off after multiple refills and alternating between soaking in starsan and sanitizing in the dishwasher.
I know that some painted (is that the right word?) labels are easier to get off than others so I was wondering, before I start buying these to re-use (the beer is basically OK for something in the price-range), whether or not anyone has had any success removing their labels.

familiar.jpg

I can't really see the photo but I'm assuming you're talking about bottles with screen prints on them, most likely oil based. I'm not sure what you might havde that would take that off. I used to work for a screenprinter and we used industrial chemicals like Toulene and Xylene. Not really something you want to mess around with at home.

I can attest that CLR works well. You don't even need straight CLR either, a 1:4 ratio of CLR to water.
I have a small tutorial on my Homemade Soda blog, taking the printing off of my Nittany Ale bottles. There is a faint ghost image of the printing once you're done. See the three posts from June 2010.

In fact the background image on my blog shows some Corona Light bottles that I took the labels off of. The thicker printing does take some extra soaking. But they turn out quite nicely.

I think I read a thread once had someone disappointedly removed a screen printed label with star-san.

I soaked my Nittany Ale bottles in a 50/50 CLR solution, fill a tub with the CLR solution, fill the bottles with tapwater to help them sink and let them soak a good 24 hours. The printing should come right off. With a stronger dilution and a longer soak, I didn't have much printing left at all. Good Luck!

Well, I appreciate all your replies. I don't have any CLR for now, just brewvint cleanitizer and starsan. I'm going to try it with starsan until I get a chance to make a run to AHS.

I have had the experience of the print coming off of stone bottles, especially old guardian, which I was going to hold on to. It didn't happen after just one or two soaks in starsan though, it was multiple refills and sanitations. First I just used starsan but since I moved I've been using the dishwasher as a steam-sanitizer.

I just realized that CLR is a more general household product. I've been meaning to get some for a showerhead but was blanking on the name (the label is a dead giveaway though). That I can pick up pretty quickly.

Back