Do you ever avoid the kitchen after brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
I had a really bad boil over last night and there is beer over everything. My feet stick to the floor and my burners are covered in burned wort.

:( - I don't brew in my kitchen, but I avoid it at times because of all the bottles in a row to be cleaned.

I have left my brew room in a bit of a mess before, makes it a little harder to get going the next time, since you have to clean up before you can even start cleaning/ sanitizing things.

My old roommate had to toss a bucket and a siphon hose because he left it alone (dirty) too long and it get really gross. I always clean (or at least rinse well) my equipment right away.

I wish there was a way to hire somebody to do the less fun parts of brewing... although I am not sure that I would trust they had wells sanitized anything, so I would have to do it again anyway.

Oh yeah I rinse everything off but yeah the kitchen floors and burners lol

That's the one thing I hate about pouring my wort through a strainer into my bucket fermenter. The rest of the time I'm in there my feet stick to the floor. I give it a quick wet mop when I'm done so SWMBO doesn't feed me the giant marshmallow in my sleep.

That's the one thing I hate about pouring my wort through a strainer into my bucket fermenter. The rest of the time I'm in there my feet stick to the floor. I give it a quick wet mop when I'm done so SWMBO doesn't feed me the giant marshmallow in my sleep.

Yeah that is what I do too

I am single also and I know what you mean....but yeah I swear by fermcap...I can have a rolling boil going with it an inch from the top of the kettle, and go take a nap or post on HBT during the gap between a 60 and 30 minute hop addition.

Garage and garden hose for me for boiling. Although I did decide to heat up my strike water and mash in the house since it's cooled off here.

I don't avoid the kitchen cause normally on brew days I am also doing a long cooking day so I am normally in the kitchen for what adds up to about 6 hours I seems. How do I pass the time between hop additions or adding spice to my "Sunday Gravy"? I convinced the wife to let me put in a little 19 inch dynex LCD in the kitchen. Perhaps the smartest investment I ever made.... nothing better than watching BeerFest or 300 while brewing.... or last brew/cook day I watched Godfather I and II :) How did I get this by SWMBO? I got it on a nice wall mount that lets me tilt it into the dining room and pop in a kids movie while they paint/play on the kitchen table.

Not to mention I insure I have a clean (almost sanitized) kitchen when done brewing and cooking so the wife and kids can never complain about my hobbies.. well at least brewing and cooking but bringing in sand from surfing I still get crap about daily.

I used to run a restaurant and the old habits still apply. My wife loves my brew days because my kitchen is sparkling clean whenever I finish with the day.

+whatever on Fermcap. I've never had a boil over or blowoff. But I still end up with wort all over the floor.

I used to run a restaurant and the old habits still apply. My wife loves my brew days because my kitchen is sparkling clean whenever I finish with the day.
If you share a home with another person, not cleaning up after yourself is just plain rude. I leave the area cleaner than I found it.

I brew in the garage/driveway. That way, if I have a boil-over, I can just hose it down, IF there's no rain in the immediate forecast.

Back