Chest Freezer floor lining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebeer

Reaction score
I finally got around to building a kegerator from chest freezer. Wish it was as beautiful as some of the examples I seen here (fully enclosed, trimmed wood, bar top, etc). For now it's just a simple 8" collar, but it looks nice and I'm really looking forward to 6 taps in the house.

Does anyone use a special lining to protect the floor? Maybe a rubber mat or something similar? I'm sure it will be easy enough to find something at the hardware store, but no reason to reinvent the wheel. Appreciate any ideas if someone has found a good solution.

I know some guys that buy commercial kegs get the thick restaurant style mats that Home Depot sells to protect the bottom. But, they can really smell. If you're concerned with protecting the bottom then perhaps a bath mat or something along those lines.

I only put cornies in mine so I have nothing.

Well, good questions. I have a large fridge I keep 6 cornies in, over time the weight has slightly warped the floor of the fridge. I was thinking rubber mat might distribute the weight a bit, but seems I really don't need anything in there.

Thanks guys.

I have a large fridge I keep 6 cornies in, over time the weight has slightly warped the floor of the fridge. I was thinking rubber mat might distribute the weight a bit, but seems I really don't need anything in there.

Oh, converted fridge. I also have one for my kegerator. To distribute the weight I cut a piece of 1 1/8" (I think that’s the size) sub-flooring I had laying around to fit the supports where the crisper was. Then I used a piece of 4x4 to support the middle. Painted it white to match and have had no issues.

I use a chest freezer for pipeline storage but at most only have 4 kegs in it at any one time.

I use "Duck Solid Easy Liner" I get at Menards in the shelf liner section. Its a thin rubber spongy type shelf liner with a non stick surface and says it has antimicrobial properties.

I just painted some scrap 3/8" plywood black cut to fit the bottom of mine.... It's new, so I'm not sure it was even needed, but I feared the existing cheap plastic was for frozen peas not 5 gallon kegs.

Just be sure to add a handle before dropping it in, or it could be tricky to get out if you cut it tightly... I just put a short bolt through from the bottom with a nut from the top. I can grab the bolt to lift them out.

Back