Spanish Tortilla (AKA potatoes and eggs!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
This is a recipe my mom has been making for years. I have never had anyone not like it. It is DIRT cheap, tastes delicious, and is very easy to make.

Tortilla

4 large potatoes
1 large yellow onion
1 cup olive oil
coarse salt
6 eggs

Peel potatoes and cut in half. Then lay flat side on cutting board and cut into 1/8" slices (thin!). Cut onion in half and also slice thinly. Heat olive oil in a 9 or 10" skillet (preferably one that can be put into the oven) over medium-high heat.

Once olive oil is hot, slide potato slices one at a time into the oil to form a layer. Alternate onions and potatoes, seasoning with coarse salt in between layers. Cover and cook over medium heat. Remove lid every few minutes to gently turn the layers to ensure everything gets cooked evenly. This will probably take around 20-30 minutes.

Once the potatoes are tender, remove the mixture to a collander and save the olive oil. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until lightly foamy. Add the potato and onion mixture and thoroughly mix together. Press the potatoes and onions down into the egg and let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat 2 tablespoons of previous olive oil in the same skillet. Pour egg/potato mixture and heat over medium-high heat. After 5-7 minutes (and the egg has started to firm up), place the skillet in the oven (about halfway down) under the broiler for 5 minutes (keep an eye on it!).

Remove from oven and flip out onto a cutting board or plate.

YUM!
fca43ja64-00_ld.jpg

WARNING: After removing the skillet from the oven, please do not forget it JUST came out of the oven and accidentally grab the handle. I've done that twice now (two days ago, and a few months ago). Not fun. :mad:

In the spring I love to make a Frittata with sauted Nettles, and some sweated White Onion. Eggs are probably one of my favorite foods. I have been making my scrambled eggs with Duck eggs, man that is good.

Back