Screwed Up Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Playing w/my new turkey fryer burner I over heated the strike water and then let it cool to much. I put it in the mash tun at about 156. W/5 lbs of grain the temp dropped to about 144. I added 2 cups of water at about 185 and brought it all up to about 148 and kept it there for the 1 hour mash.

This is for a Black IPA. How do you think the lower temp will affect the brew?

you'll have a lot of fermentable sugars, so the beer will probably turn out on the dryer side. Some folks prefer IPAs to be mashed at lower temps.

you'll have a lot of fermentable sugars, so the beer will probably turn out on the dryer side. Some folks prefer IPAs to be mashed at lower temps.

+1 all my mashes are at 147-149 range. I went with that temp as i prefer my beer on the dryer side.

Messed up more than that and I wasn't even drinking. I was supposed to brew the IPA, but grabbed the ingredients for a Smoked Robust Porter. Duh!

My volume was 2.2 g pre boil so I boiled it down to an even two gallons before hopping.
Brix reading pre boil (2g) was 18 or 1.071 That's about 84% BHE.
First time using my turkey frier burner and I boiled off 3/4 gallon in the hour. I now had 1.25 g.

I added water to 1.75g and thought I mixed it up really good. Brix read only 15.2 or 1.059 That makes no sense. How did I loose sugar? Guess I didn't mix as good as I thought.

I was so messed up today. Followed directions for the IPA. Added hops as if I was doing an IPA. This is going to be one interesting brew for sure.

I added water to 1.75g and thought I mixed it up really good. Brix read only 15.2 or 1.059 That makes no sense. How did I loose sugar? Guess I didn't mix as good as I thought.

maybe i'm misreading this, but if you add water post boil to increase your volume, your FG is going to be lower.

i just did my mash in and it was at 149. my target was 152 but I had considered doing a lower temp mash to get a drier IPA, so i guess it was a happy accident. all of my other AG beers have been in the 153-156 range so i'll be curious to see how this one comes out hahaha

It's gonna be different. Grains for a Smoky Porter and hops for an IPA. Woo Hoo! :mug: Wondering if I should do the 5 day dry hop as was planned for the IPA?

I see a preboil volume of 2 gal and a topoff to 1.75. Seems that you didn't mix well enough. Wouldn't the number be higher if the same amount of sugar is mixed into a smaller volume of water? Though it's late, so maybe something isn't clicking in my head so well.

I see a preboil volume of 2 gal and a topoff to 1.75. Seems that you didn't mix well enough. Wouldn't the number be higher if the same amount of sugar is mixed into a smaller volume of water? Though it's late, so maybe something isn't clicking in my head so well.

That would be my thought. I really mixed it up but I guess not enough. Sokay it tasted pretty sweet so I know there is a lot of sugar in there. Time will tell.

Back