Need suggestions to formulate IPA recipe from LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
OK, I have a 3.75lb can of hopped IPA LME (coopers) that I want to do my first brew using hops?

I also have some about a pound each of light and dark DME left over from a stout I did. But I'm not limiting myself to using them, just saying that's what I have laying around.

Can I use fresh hops even though this is hopped?

Any suggestions or a recipe link would be welcome.

Maybe others can chime in here, seeing as how I've never actually brewed anything yet, but I've read that the prehopped stuff doesn't empart much hoppyness to the brew at all. I'm doing a schedualed hop addition for my first brew.

mike

I have never used prehopped extract before, but I'm sure adding more hops won't hurt anything. If the extract is for an IPA it seems as though it should be hoppy enough to make an IPA, but I'm only guessing here. IF it isn't specifically for an IPA you would definately have to add more hops to get an IPA. I would add more hops either way, but thats just me I mean IPAs can't have too many hops.

I read somewhere that since it is almost like hop extract in those kits it will ad the bitterness but not so much the aroma or flavor. so it might not be a bad idea to add a aroma/flavor hop like cascade. you can also ask you LHBS and they should be able to tell you for sure.
Happy Brewing!

Think I'm gonna dd some hops to the boil and do this kit as "directed" but my days of hopped LME are over.

Back