What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the second dry-hop addition to my Pliny clone and ooh'ed and aah'ed over the cider that just started really fermenting strong.

Made a first attempt at a double IPA. So, so sludgy. I was shooting for a 3.5 gallon batch, ended ip with 2.75 or so. Looked like pond scum, so I topped it off a little. Really unsure if I've made something that will ever be drinkable.

So maybe you made a triple IPA?? New category! :cross:

LOL

Sounds like I may have to try out another test beer. My first IPA was really an IIPA.. so maybe I should try out a very high gravity IIIPA?? :cool:

Go for it. I mean it's your wallet and taste buds after all. I'd definitely watch you take the first sip and try to keep a straight face when you say you like it.

Go for it. I mean it's your wallet and taste buds after all. I'd definitely watch you take the first sip and try to keep a straight face when you say you like it.

Alright I will, lol. I need to brew up a few more brews on the list first, so this will commence in a few months. Maybe November, I'll make a thread in the Extract Forum for it. TIPA will be in the title :mug:

It'll only be a 2.5 gallon, like my IIPA, so its just a test and wont hurt the wallet as much.

Today I bottled a Whiskey Barrell Old Ale. I had it conditioning since early June with oak I had soaked in a white whiskey from the local distillery. I tried a bit as I was bottling and I am very excited! Its gonna be hard not to crack them open in a couple weeks! Also transfered over a Pumpkin Porter into the secondary. Had kind of a up front sharpness to it, not sure what that was about, but it did have a nice finish to it. Hopefully the sharpness will mellow out.

Bought some grains and yeast from my LHBS and ordered the rest of what I need for a few batches from Northern Brewer. Gonna be doing some brew real soon.

Got me an AHA membership and a free copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" with it. I love building my Brewer's Library.

Brewed a batch of Weizenbock, double decoction, brew day went beautifully, other than my gas bottle crapping out on me. Had a backup on hand though, disaster averted, lol. During the brewday, bottled a batch of Dunkelweizen, then poured the cooled weizenbock wort directly on top of the yeast cake of Wyeast 3068. The dunkelweizen, I think, is going to be REALLY good, so I'm excited!

Brewed a ginger snap brown ale

Worked on the keezer (now just waiting for parts)

Kegged my pumpkin ale

Harvested some yeast

Drank some beer

Had a pretty eventful day

Kegged a red ale, final seemed a little sweet so I'm going to put on some head pressure and let it sit a few more days before I chill it. It has been in primary for 17 days, Safale 05 at 72*...should be done.

Deep cleaning day
Mash tun scrubbed out and sanitized
Boil kettle scrubbed and sanitized
Floors, walls and windows all scrubbed clean
Harvesting yeast from the Amber
Kegging the last of the Brown Ale and scrubbing fermenting vessel
Prepping for Hefe brew tomorrow

Pretty light day overalll.

Kegged the second half of a 10 gallon batch of BM's Centennial Blonde that was brewed on 8/23. This half of the batch was siphoned from the brew kettle in order to get as little trub as possible in the fermentor where it sat for almost a month. Nothing but a compact yeast cake and a few ounces of beer left in the fermentor after kegging. I am rewarding myself with a bottle of Edwort's Apfelwein while planning what to do with several empty fermentors.

Got the stupid hose fitting off the SWMBO's utility faucet. It looks as if its been on there forever, and it was seized on. 10min of brute force and some channel-locks did the trick. Now I can hook up my double bottle washer. Huzzah!

Dry hopped my pale ale yesterday. This one's for a company BBQ, and its gonna be awesome.
384233_532010386815930_978899938_n_zps540333c4.jpg

i added eli madyson cab s. wine to a mason jar with 2 oz of oak cubes (x2, one with french oak medium, and one with american oak medium).

Printed out forms and labels to enter my Baltic Porter and California Common in my homebrew clubs Octoberfest competition. Can't wait to get feedback

Found out that my propane tank was leaking and exchanged it for a new one.

Talked to the manager of a local soda plant and negotiated the most insane price for a handful of soda kegs.

Made $50 for going to a company CPR training, so...
stopped by a previously un-visited homebrew store and picked up a really cool, long SS turkey baster to use as a thief.
Got home to test it out with water (to see if one bulb sample was enough to fill my test tube). Knocked the test tube over on my granite counter top and broke it. Now I'll have to buy another. Thinking about getting a refractometer too.

Kegged 10gal Centennial Blonde for my sons 1st birthday party next Saturday. Moved my co2 tank outside of the fridge, took 30 minutes, why didn't I do this sooner?

I brewed up a little IPA:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.0 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
12.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.0 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
0.75 oz Cascade [9.30 %] - First Wort 70.0 min Hop 6 24.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [9.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 14.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 9.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mashed at 153
OG: 1.062
56 IBU

Racked a Pale Ale from primary to secondary. I have another batch that was started 6 days ago that I was also going to rack to secondary, but when I lifted the lid of the fermentation pail, there's still a thick head of creamy foam (krausen?) on top, so I'm going to wait for that to dissipate before racking that batch to secondary.

Back